360 rudder stop

  • flyoften1999
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      My new paint job was getting banged up at the rudder cable connector
      and the fuselage from the wind (tied down-no hangar). I contemplated
      building a sleeve that goes over the top of the vertical stabilizer
      and rudder but didn't want to do that for a variety of reasons
      including eventually mucking up the paint.

      So I found a simpler and better solution that seems so obvious I
      figure everybody else already knows about it. But just in case
      someone needs this solution here it is.

      Materials needed: One 5/8 or 3/4 inch PVC pipe about 18" long, One
      PVC "T", One crutch tip.

      The T goes on one end of the pipe and the crutch tip on the other.
      The PVC pipe is cut to the distance between your rudder pedals and the
      front of the seat. The T fits nicely in the indentation between the
      rudder and brake control. The T is just wide enough to catch both
      rudder pedals. The crutch tip provides a nice friction stop against
      the front of the seat. Whole things weighs a few ounces and you can't
      navigate on the ground until you take if off so you can't forget top
      remove it before flight.

      I suppose something similar could be made that is adjustable but it
      probably easier just to adjust the rudder pedals to fit the rudder
      stop if you have different pilots with different leg length and rudder
      positions.

      Dan
      1993 360