Re: Fuel Pressure Problem

  • ru4reel2_1492
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
      Larry and All,

      I have not done anything yet. Here are the opinions so far. Engine
      Builder: Vapor lock, add shroud and blast air to engine driven pump,
      make sure fuel lines are covered with fire slieve, especally where
      they are close to the exhaust. New pump would be about $220. Plane
      Builder: The engine sat idle for a couple of years, hard on rubber
      parts, diaphram, new pump and check fuel line routing. My opinion:
      All the above plus, Boost pump and gascolator mounted too high on the
      firewall. Check valves in fuel lines, check for restruction and or
      remove. Boost pump has blast air needs shrould and insulation along
      with gascolator. If you add cabin heat watch were the hot air gets
      dumped when not in use. Mine was set up to blast on the boost pump
      plane would not start hot until it got changed. Make cabin heat on
      off or vent hot when not in use.

      Will keep you up to date as things progress.

      Ray Gardner

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2003
        Solution I think

        Replaced the engine driven fuel pump today and ground ran the
        engine. Held pressure very will without the boost pump. Even at low
        idle the pressure stayed high. Will be cowling it up tomorrow and
        taking it for a spin. It looks like sitting idle for the year or so
        affected the pump. More comments after next flight.

        Ray

        --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "ru4reel2_1492" <tubamanflies@a...>

      • Greg Goodrich
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2003

          wrote:
          > Larry and All,
          >
          > I have not done anything yet. Here are the opinions so far.
          Engine
          > Builder: Vapor lock, add shroud and blast air to engine driven
          pump,
          > make sure fuel lines are covered with fire slieve, especally where
          > they are close to the exhaust. New pump would be about $220. Plane
          > Builder: The engine sat idle for a couple of years, hard on rubber
          > parts, diaphram, new pump and check fuel line routing. My opinion:
          > All the above plus, Boost pump and gascolator mounted too high on
          the
          > firewall. Check valves in fuel lines, check for restruction and or
          > remove. Boost pump has blast air needs shrould and insulation along
          > with gascolator. If you add cabin heat watch were the hot air gets
          > dumped when not in use. Mine was set up to blast on the boost pump
          > plane would not start hot until it got changed. Make cabin heat on
          > off or vent hot when not in use.
          >
          > Will keep you up to date as things progress.
          >
          > Ray Gardner
          >
          > --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "larry zeliadt" <lzeliadt@e...>
          wrote:
          > > Did you find out what was wrong? Please advise for I am building
          > 360 with injection. Thanks

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor