Re: [Lancair] Hydraulic system failure (?) Lancair 360

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 25, 2013
      Hi Dave,
      It’s quite simple, as soon as the low side sensor sees a pressure build up the sensor activates the pump relay for a brief second to open the spool valve and let the fluid back into the reservoir. The switch configuration prevents the pump from getting a hi and lo voltage at the same time, the diodes are for isolation. These new sensors from McMaster Carr are much more beefy and precision then the Lancair sensors. This fix prevents pressure build up on the low side for any reason, heat, leaking seals, lazy spool valve. Your down switch will always work. I came up with this after getting tired of opening the dump valve almost every landing to let the pressure out. Two different pumps same thing. I’ve been running this about 7 years without a hitch. It’s completely automatic, install it and forget it.

      Hope this helps.

      Randy

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 26, 2013
        Randy and Chris,

        Thank you both for your additional information. As summer is over and I have more time to make modifications I will decide what to do. For the time being everything works fine now, probably to the lower temperature in the Netherlands.

        Regards,
        Dave
        Lancair 360 MK1, PH-DBO

        PS. On the schematic of Randy (comming form the Lancair manual) I also saw the old remark about “cutting off” the small black wire comming out of the pumpmotor. I remember this turned out to be a faulty advice. The black wire had to do with some sort of overload protection and I remember that it had to be connected to ground. Does anyone remember this story?