Nose oleo not centered?

  • Spike Kavalench
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013
      My 235 has an upgraded self centering nose oleo, but its centre position is slightly left of centre, and the plane typically pulls a little left while taxiing. Can the collar or oleo be adjusted to track straight? Thanks.
    • Chris Zavatston
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
        The flange of the self centering strut should have slotted holes so that the alignment of the nose wheel can be adjusted. I have seen one case where the flange was so far off that the owner ran out of adjustment range. In that case the flange had to be removed and reset. Unfortunately special tools are required for that level of work. In general enough adjustment range is available.
        Chris

        Chris Zavatson
        N91CZ
        360std
        www.N91CZ.net

        On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:53 PM, "Spike Kavalench" <spike.kavalench@...> wrote:

        > My 235 has an upgraded self centering nose oleo, but its centre position is slightly left of centre, and the plane typically pulls a little left while taxiing. Can the collar or oleo be adjusted to track straight? Thanks.

      • Tom Low
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
          Shouldn't the centering mechanism be completely disengaged while taxiing?  It seems that my nose gear strut is equally "happy" pointing in any direction as long as the strut is compressed.  What am I missing here?

        • Spike Kavalench
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
            I'll set it down on a snowmobile dolly with wheels to see if it casters freely with a load on it, but does anyone know how much resistance there should be with the weight of the aircraft on the wheel?

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
              Thanks Chris. It's not intuitively obvious which bolts to remove to adjust that alignment, can you dumb it down a little for me?

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
                It would be the four bolts that hold the fork to the strut flange. No need to remove them, just loosen. You should get about 10 or 15 degrees of rotation of the fork. The original strut had simple through holes and no adjustment, but then none was needed. I can send some pics if not clear.
                Chris

                Sent from my spiffy iPhone

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
                  Thanks Chris, I think I know which bolts you mean, I'll give that a shot!
                  Spike

                  --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, Chris Zavatston <chris_zavatson@...> wrote:

                  > It would be the four bolts that hold the fork to the strut flange. No need to remove them, just loosen. You should get about 10 or 15 degrees of rotation of the fork. The original strut had simple through holes and no adjustment, but then none was needed. I can send some pics if not clear.
                  > Chris
                  >
                  > Sent from my spiffy iPhone
                  >
                  > On Mar 28, 2013, at 6:12 PM, "Spike Kavalench" <spike.kavalench@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks Chris. It's not intuitively obvious which bolts to remove to adjust that alignment, can you dumb it down a little for me?
                  > >
                  > > --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, Chris Zavatston <chris_zavatson@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The flange of the self centering strut should have slotted holes so that the alignment of the nose wheel can be adjusted. I have seen one case where the flange was so far off that the owner ran out of adjustment range. In that case the flange had to be removed and reset. Unfortunately special tools are required for that level of work. In general enough adjustment range is available.
                  > > > Chris
                  > > >
                  > > > Chris Zavatson
                  > > > N91CZ
                  > > > 360std
                  > > > www.N91CZ.net

                • spikerk01
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
                    Interestingly, there are oblong holes in the centre plate of the assembly but neither the top plate nor the block on the forks have elongated holes, so it really doesn't adjust there at all. The whole assembly can be turned though if I loosen the two horizontal hex head bolts holding the whole assembly on the strut tube..