Re: [Lancair] Re: Lancair 320 nose high attitude on the ground

  • Miro Vidos
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2013
      Dave,

      I do appreciate your input. I shall have MKII gear.

      What I
      am wondering is... with MKII gear and Reiger oleo hydraulic dampners (or
      other) how good are you to operate on grass strips with 360. I am NOT
      talking grass strips that 172 can handle, C172 is a tractor.

      I am
      talking grass strips that you see Socata TB or Beech Bonanza landing on,
      with MKII are you up to the mission to land on same?!... not referring
      to length, referring to condition

      Thanks,

      Miro

      On Mon, 25 Feb 2013
      09:35:38 +0100, "Douwe de Boer" wrote:

      Miro,

      If you have the
      standard gear I can only advice you to stay away from the grass. Even
      with the Reiger oleo hydraulic dampners I only use one grass field in
      the Netherlands which is EHTX. This is a very smooth grass field, but
      any other grass field will give bumps and g-forces up to 4 G during the
      landing or departure roll! The MK1 without outback gear is just not made
      for the grass. But even if you stay away from the grass I would advice
      anybody to get rid of those donuts and replace them with a decent shock
      system. It will certainly save the day with a rough landing and gives a
      much more comfortable ride.

      Regards,
      Dave
      Lancair 360 MK1, PH-DBO

      Miro Vidos
      from WebMail

      Links:
      ------
      [1]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lancair/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwYWNhNWE3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUzNjExMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MzQwMDg1BG1zZ0lkAzQxNzYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzYxNzgxMzc2?act=reply&messageNum=4176
      [2]
      mailto:dbotop@...?subject=Re%3A%20%5BLancair%5D%20Re%3A%20Lancair%20320%20nose%20high%20attitude%20on%20the%20ground
      [3]
      mailto:lancair@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BLancair%5D%20Re%3A%20Lancair%20320%20nose%20high%20attitude%20on%20the%20ground
      [4]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lancair/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMWoydG9vBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUzNjExMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MzQwMDg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2MTc4MTM3Ng--
      [5]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lancair/message/4168;_ylc=X3oDMTM0dWswZ2phBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUzNjExMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MzQwMDg1BG1zZ0lkAzQxNzYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzYxNzgxMzc2BHRwY0lkAzQxNjg-
      [6]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lancair;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZXQxa3NjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUzNjExMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MzQwMDg1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTM2MTc4MTM3Ng--
      [7]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNjc4OTY1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUzNjExMjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MzQwMDg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMzYxNzgxMzc2
      [8]
      mailto:lancair-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery
      Format: Traditional
      [9]
      mailto:lancair-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery:
      Digest
      [10]
      mailto:lancair-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe
      [11]
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      [12]
      mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback on the
      redesigned individual mail v1

    • Lee Parker
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2013
        Bad on gear doors. Keep your speed up on final.

        ________________________________
        I do appreciate your input. I shall have MKII gear.

        What I
        am wondering is... with MKII gear and Reiger oleo hydraulic dampners (or
        other) how good are you to operate on grass strips with 360. I am NOT
        talking grass strips that 172 can handle, C172 is a tractor.

        Recent Activity:
        Visit Your Group

        .

      • Georg

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
            Miro,

            I think the answer of Georg paints a good picrure. In spite of the outback gear, the Lancair is not exactly what you call a sturdy airplane, so in general I stay away from grass, unless I know it very good. Georg thank you for the fields you mentioned. I will add these to my trip possibillities.
            The name “outback gear” suggest that it is suitable to land on rough runways. However keep in mind, it was just a replacement for the first (standard) MK1 gear, which had several design flaws anyway!
            Last summer I was in Shoreham, UK. They have an excellent asphalt runway and a nearly 1.000 meter grass strip, which they use during strong crosswinds. For the landing I had the asphalt. A day later the grass runway was in use. The quality of the grass was reasonable; no bumps or potholes. The strip was however what they call undulated. I managed to get the Lancair into the air, but it was surely an unforgettable ride!

            Regards,
            Dave
            Lancair 360 MK1, PH-DBO

          • curtismold63
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
              Outback refers to the geometry and grass strips are good to help you check make sure all the bolts and nuts are tight. I only know of one in my area that i would land on and that is Cedar Mills at lake Texhoma after a good rain and two days of good sun to fill in the divots from the other aircraft skid marks. It looks like a golf course fairway

              --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "Douwe de Boer" <dbotop@...> wrote:

              > Miro,
              >
              > I think the answer of Georg paints a good picrure. In spite of the outback gear, the Lancair is not exactly what you call a sturdy airplane, so in general I stay away from grass, unless I know it very good. Georg thank you for the fields you mentioned. I will add these to my trip possibillities.
              > The name “outback gear” suggest that it is suitable to land on rough runways. However keep in mind, it was just a replacement for the first (standard) MK1 gear, which had several design flaws anyway!
              > Last summer I was in Shoreham, UK. They have an excellent asphalt runway and a nearly 1.000 meter grass strip, which they use during strong crosswinds. For the landing I had the asphalt. A day later the grass runway was in use. The quality of the grass was reasonable; no bumps or potholes. The strip was however what they call undulated. I managed to get the Lancair into the air, but it was surely an unforgettable ride!
              >
              > Regards,
              > Dave
              > Lancair 360 MK1, PH-DBO

            • Miro Vidos
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
                Guys,
                Thank you all for help on this subject. You got me worried :)... But still I am going to build it.

                Sent from my iPhone
                BR
                Miro Vidos