Re: Camloc fasteners and cowling

  • Glenn Long
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
      I thought I was being smart by trying the adjustable cam lock jobs. They
      totally suck. One hard turn and the tiny set pin snaps. Had to rip all them
      out and finally went with the fixed depth jobs. They have worked well
      although due to slight variances in total width, I have a variety of screw
      lengths to support the differences. The receiver bodies are large and
      solid. I used a small dab of epoxy around the edge when installing with the
      hard rivets.

      Got all the pieces at Aircraft Spruce. Don't waste your money on that fancy
      adjustable crap.

      Glenn Long
      N3UH

    • Tony molle
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
        Hi Glenn,

        I do have the fixed length ones with solid base and am using an aluminum shim to make it so I end up using only one camloc length... well that didn't work out as planned ..... I have two camloc lengths.

        Did you use them all over the place (even around air intake holes up front)?

        -Tony

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
          Hey Tony,

          No worries - hey, you'll find many production aircraft with more than 1
          camloc length. It's nearly unavoidable. Most of mine are -6 with some
          exceptions (others are longer).

          I use them along the sides and up front I use lock plates and screws. I
          used #10 stainless on the front corner and #8 stainless around the inlets.
          Only 1 of each on either side. No issues to date.

          I was a bit skeptical of using screws for fear of the holes getting rounded
          out by vibration, but this has not been the case. I use carbion hinge
          across the top rear and lower rear of the cowling connections. that stuff
          really keeps the cowling in place.

          Glenn Long