Re: Camloc fasteners and cowling

  • Douwe de Boer
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
      I used screws with tinnerman washers and lock plates all around the cowling. I takes a while to unscrew and remove the cowling, but at least it stays in place. Although I do not experience any trouble, I have seen Lancairs, that could not even keeps the screws in place. Personally I would not use the camlocks at the front end of the cowling, where you can expect the most vibration. Vibration made them go loose all the time. The hinge method is a good solution too, but I decided not to use it, since I do not need to remove the cowling very often.

      Greetings,
      Dave
      Lancair 360 MK1, PH-DBO

    • Glenn Long
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
        I thought I was being smart by trying the adjustable cam lock jobs. They
        totally suck. One hard turn and the tiny set pin snaps. Had to rip all them
        out and finally went with the fixed depth jobs. They have worked well
        although due to slight variances in total width, I have a variety of screw
        lengths to support the differences. The receiver bodies are large and
        solid. I used a small dab of epoxy around the edge when installing with the
        hard rivets.

        Got all the pieces at Aircraft Spruce. Don't waste your money on that fancy
        adjustable crap.

        Glenn Long
        N3UH

      • Tony molle
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
          Hi Glenn,

          I do have the fixed length ones with solid base and am using an aluminum shim to make it so I end up using only one camloc length... well that didn't work out as planned ..... I have two camloc lengths.

          Did you use them all over the place (even around air intake holes up front)?

          -Tony

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
            Hey Tony,

            No worries - hey, you'll find many production aircraft with more than 1
            camloc length. It's nearly unavoidable. Most of mine are -6 with some
            exceptions (others are longer).

            I use them along the sides and up front I use lock plates and screws. I
            used #10 stainless on the front corner and #8 stainless around the inlets.
            Only 1 of each on either side. No issues to date.

            I was a bit skeptical of using screws for fear of the holes getting rounded
            out by vibration, but this has not been the case. I use carbion hinge
            across the top rear and lower rear of the cowling connections. that stuff
            really keeps the cowling in place.

            Glenn Long