Lancair 360 not using airbox

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013
      Hi all,

      Lancair 360 carburated engine (O-360). Anyone bypass the construction of the airbox (page 21-57 of FB manual? I am about to order an exhaust system for my engine and came across the carb/cabin heat muff and wondered if that was not a "simpler" solution? Simpler being that I would not have to carve out my lower cowling to make room for the added space required beneath the carb. Someone please shed light on this for me? Advice? Opinion? Hockey Scores? Oh wait... that isn't possible lol.

      Thanks
      Tony.
    • Douwe de Boer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
        Hallo,

        Since I have the IO360 I do not need the carb heat. If you are going or need to use the Lancair design for the airbox, you might want to consider the “design flaws”. I know at least of one case where the flappervalve broke loose and was drawn into the engine. It happened some 15 years ago on the second flight of a Lancair at Merrit Island, Florida resulting in a crash killing the owner and wounding a flight instructor / owner of Merrit Island air service. We opted for a different solution by buying a system from Air Flow Performance. However I don’t think they are in bussiness anymore as I was unable to locate them on the internet. Anyway their system was only suitable for an fule injected IO360.

        Kind regards,

        Dave
        Lancair 360 MK1, PH-DBO

      • Georg Isenbürger

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
            Yes, that's the one!! Do'nt know what I have done wrong while searching for
            them. Might be that my Norton Internet Security is reporting their site as
            "unsafe". The site seems to be OK though. Anyway they still seem to be in
            business and are offering a lot of nice stuff.

            dave

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
              Airflow performance is still in business. They still sell the alternate air valve too. It's a 2.5" dia. Aluminum pipe that has been welded into a Y. Butterfly valves in two of the openings, connected to a single lever, allow selection of ram air or filtered air. If you've got space for it, it's a clean solution.

              They sell for $200, or you could do me a favor and buy it from me. I bought one a year ago and it won't fit under my cowl. I bought a finished aircraft and was hoping for a bolt on solution. Still in new condition.