Re: [Lancair] Lancair 360 air inlet shape

  • Jeff Edison
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
      Late in the production history, there was a last version of the couling
      offered. It was done by their sales manager, at the time. It was a
      superior design. I believe you had to be buying one of the later kits to
      get it. Recently, I saw a kit for sale that had this exact, later couling
      included. Might be fun to see if we could "splash" a copy��.
      This new superior couling setup might be a much better place to start.

      n754rp

    • Georg Isenbürger
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
        don't waste your time searching... Chris Zavatston seems to have come up with the ultimate design:

        http://www.n91cz.net/cooling/webCowlrep.htm

        you can order from from Chris...

        regards

        Georg

        Am 31.12.2012 um 15:25 schrieb Jeff Edison <jedison360@...>:

        Late in the production history, there was a last version of the couling
        offered. It was done by their sales manager, at the time. It was a
        superior design. I believe you had to be buying one of the later kits to
        get it. Recently, I saw a kit for sale that had this exact, later couling
        included. Might be fun to see if we could "splash" a copy��.
        This new superior couling setup might be a much better place to start.

        n754rp

      • Christopher Skelt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
          Tony,
          I used 3 1/2 inch aluminum flanges from Aircraft spruce to make the holes round. Set in place with micro and glass, and then split in two with a hacksaw. Chris Zavatson’s alternative split line above the holes is attractive, but if you’re using the original cowling shells, these flanges will still help you make a round hole.

          I used a similar flange for the air intake, and this adds more material to clamp the duct to the injector servo.

          See http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ha/flanged/ductflanges.php

          I stiffened the flanges behind the spinner with about 3/8 inch of foam mounted in front of the original flanges. With the spinner in place you can easily file off excess foam to line up the two front faces and achieve a constant gap between the back of the spinner and the front of the cowling, and contour the foam so everything lines up around the spinner. Then glass over.

          There’s also a power bulge in the upper half shell to clear the forward mounted governor, a hatch to access the fuel injection servo, and chipmunk cheeks to clear the exhaust pipes on the IO-360 M1A/B. No such thing as a standard cowling.

          Regards, Chris.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
            Folks,
            The attachments dropped off the email. See them in the Yahoo Albums at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lancair/photos/album/1059539694/pic/list