anecdotal equipment report: Advanced Flight Systems Autopilot

  • Casey
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012
      I flew my 193 Lancair 360 for 20 years before upgrading my S-Tec system 50 to the Advanced Flight systems Tru-Track AP.

      The System 50 acted up with radio transmissions often times climbing abruptly. occasionally when in Static conditions flying IFR in ice crystals, the whole AP would Fry and have to be sent back to Mineral Wells.

      My experience with the AFS PFD has been fantastic. It has never been effected by the static issues that this airplane experiences, it is always rock solid.

      The addition of the Autopilot has been similar. Rock solid. GPSS roll steering smoothly makes correct turns following the programmed flight plan and altitude hold is excellent within 20 feet.

      starting to check the LPV vertical guidance now but initial test was confounded by trim changes required for changing to approach configuration.

      GREAT AP and CHEAP. HIGHLY recomended

      Casey Rucker