PTI primers/paints

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
      Hi All,

      Wondering if anyone has used the PTI primer/paints from Spruce? Looking for a sandable primer (epoxy I guess). If someone out there knows a canadian supplier of a similar/better product also let me know.

      As I approach the priming stage in my project folks have suggested auto primers and paints, but I am not sure about that. Maybe boat products???

      Any info would be great thanks.

      -Anthony Molle
    • Glenn Long
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
        Anthony,

        Congratulations - painting is one of the great steps in a project. If
        you are planning to do the complete paint job yourself, there are of
        course many options. If you are planning to use a painter for the
        final product, call them and find out what primer they use.

        It is often recommended that no matter which product you chose, you
        stick with the same product from base to top coat. Few will disagree
        with that statement.

        If you are doing fiberglass or carbon, use two part epoxy primer and
        paint. Don't confuse type with application. Many automotive painters
        are using the same stuff as the airplane folks these days. What's
        important is the weight per gallon or coat. If you can get an idea on
        the weight of paint when dry, that may be your deciding factor.

        Paint is like ice cream - everyone has their favorite and if you ask
        them to chose everything else will probably just fall off the
        airplane.

        I can't recommend the PTI stuff, but I'm sure there are those that
        have had good success. If you're local paint shop can't recommend
        something, go with PPG or Dupont.

        Good primer and paint is expensive. Don't experiment. Pick something
        that will work and stick with it. If you don't like the finished
        product, you can re-do it in 10 years.

        If you're an expert painter and know all the tricks, luck you - if not
        read this http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/ra/paint1.html

        Glenn

        On 06/01/2012, Anthony <cdnpilot2002@...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Wondering if anyone has used the PTI primer/paints from Spruce? Looking for
        > a sandable primer (epoxy I guess). If someone out there knows a canadian
        > supplier of a similar/better product also let me know.
        >
        > As I approach the priming stage in my project folks have suggested auto
        > primers and paints, but I am not sure about that. Maybe boat products???
        >
        > Any info would be great thanks.
        >
        > -Anthony Molle

      • Cameron
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
          Try WLS Coatings epoxy primer. The stuff is tough as concrete, exhibits superior adhesion, sands like butter and best of all is cheap compared to similar products. Comes in a 5qt kit including reducer. Proven product used on (I estimate) half of Lancairs flying today.
          Also, just because something is labeled "auto paint" doesn't mean it's inferior. I would use Krylon from Home Depot before I would use 90% of the paint and bodywork products marketed exclusively to the aerospace industry. The highest quality and most durable paint/paint jobs I've seen were done in "auto paint" (IMO).

          W L S Coatings Inc
          13413 S Broadway
          Los Angeles, CA 90061-1127
          (310) 538-2155

          --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Long <glenn.long@...> wrote:

          > Anthony,
          >
          > Congratulations - painting is one of the great steps in a project. If
          > you are planning to do the complete paint job yourself, there are of
          > course many options. If you are planning to use a painter for the
          > final product, call them and find out what primer they use.
          >
          > It is often recommended that no matter which product you chose, you
          > stick with the same product from base to top coat. Few will disagree
          > with that statement.
          >
          > If you are doing fiberglass or carbon, use two part epoxy primer and
          > paint. Don't confuse type with application. Many automotive painters
          > are using the same stuff as the airplane folks these days. What's
          > important is the weight per gallon or coat. If you can get an idea on
          > the weight of paint when dry, that may be your deciding factor.
          >
          > Paint is like ice cream - everyone has their favorite and if you ask
          > them to chose everything else will probably just fall off the
          > airplane.
          >
          > I can't recommend the PTI stuff, but I'm sure there are those that
          > have had good success. If you're local paint shop can't recommend
          > something, go with PPG or Dupont.
          >
          > Good primer and paint is expensive. Don't experiment. Pick something
          > that will work and stick with it. If you don't like the finished
          > product, you can re-do it in 10 years.
          >
          > If you're an expert painter and know all the tricks, luck you - if not
          > read this http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/ra/paint1.html
          >
          > Glenn
          >
          > On 06/01/2012, Anthony <cdnpilot2002@...> wrote:
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > Wondering if anyone has used the PTI primer/paints from Spruce? Looking for
          > > a sandable primer (epoxy I guess). If someone out there knows a canadian
          > > supplier of a similar/better product also let me know.
          > >
          > > As I approach the priming stage in my project folks have suggested auto
          > > primers and paints, but I am not sure about that. Maybe boat products???
          > >
          > > Any info would be great thanks.
          > >
          > > -Anthony Molle

        • Tony molle
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
            Yes, the WLS did seem interesting, however, according to Lancair's site, won't ship it outside US due to hazmats. I had ordered some hazmat stuff many years ago when I was building another aircraft (over 15 years ago though) and I got buried alive because of the hazmat having to come by specific carrier etc.

            -Anthony