Re: Lancair Gear Issue

  • Samuel Christen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2011
      Chris,

      In terms of the low side pressure on retraction, it goes to zero as it
      should. So I don't think its back pressure causing the pump to cycle on the
      up side. I did check online on the lancair website last night, the one
      michelle has been sending me is the 1/4 in 2000# Kitz Ball Valve. It looks
      like this.

      I just wanna make sure I am getting the right one.

      Also, the new pump I got was specifically designed for me by oildyne to the
      same specs as what Lancair gets. The CZZ is a special code that lancair got
      which you will not find in Parker's documentation. The engineers at parker
      told me the CZZ in the lancair pump is actually what they call a double LB
      circuit which they code LD. They sent us the following product code:
      108AMS32-DLD-3V-14-08-Y. We bench tested this pump as well just to make sure
      we weren't having any issues, and it seems to hold pressure fine.

      It just seems weird to me that somehow there is a change if we actuate the
      dump valve before raising the gear. I have no idea why that would be
      happening.

      Best,

      Sam

    • Chris Zavatson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2011
        Sam,
        Nothing obvious is coming to mind.  Have you tried changing the high side pressure switch setting - to check for any interaction between the relief valve setting and your pressure switch setting?  While I don't think it is related to your issue, the CZZ model pump is not ideal for the 320/360 models.  It can lock up the system with large thermal swings and/or internal system leaks.  I just converted another builder's pump to a symmetric spool without the return springs used in the CZZ model.  A small back pressure spring needs to be added to the spool discharge also.  Oildyne sent me the parts to go back to the earlier functionality.  Would you happen to know if the DLD has return springs on the spool?
        My Kitz valve leaked in one direction right out of the box, but not nearly enough to do what you are seeing.