Re: [Lancair] Removing Subaru Engine..Installing Lycoming IO-360

  • Schyzycs
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      Long mount! The long mount provides added work space behind the engine and
      better W&B.

      Schyzycs

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
        Rock,

        As Schyzycs indicated. I did the same thing you did. After a year of failed
        developement trying to get a Subaru into my Legacy, I backed out and bought
        the Lycoming. Simple, well-known and easy to find parts for. Besides the
        long mount, there's really no other rocket science. Depending on the model,
        you may be able to re-use the MT in the 360. I have an MT 74" 12/B-blah-blah
        job which is an amazingly poweful prop. Use the M-1 version of the 360 so
        you get the shallow oil sump setup with the forward intake. That gives you
        more wiggle room for the cowling which will take 6X longer to install/fit
        than the engine. I hate cowlings.

        Glenn

      • Jim Skala
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
          I gave up on Subaru engine installation after wasting over $40K on it – more expensive than the brand new Lycoming, EAGLE EMS, and Hartzelle CS prop that replaced it. It also cost me at least 3 years – would have been flying in 2006 rather than 2009 if I had never gone down the Subaru path.