Slackness in rudder pedals

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
      Happy New Year all!

      I was looking for a confirmation, or for someone to give me a solution.
      I have installed the factory adjustable pedals. Can someone confirm that when these pedals are at rest that they do indead go into the "loose" mode. That is, they fall aft (towards pilot) when no foot pressure is on them. Seems a little strange as the "homemade" instructions show a little spring at the back of the rudder pedals to keep tension on them (so as to keep them upright I guess), but the factory pedal instructions show no such requirement.

      Thanks,
      Tony
    • Douwe de Boer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
        The factory made adjustable pedals, should have a spring around their axes, that keeps them uprigth and the cables tensioned. The home made ones need an “external” spring.
        However I remember – though some 12 years ago-, that I had to make adjustments to the springs on the factory pedals as well, to get the enough tension to keep them upright. Hope this helps you.

        Greetings,
        Dave
        Lancair 360 MK1 PH-DBO

      • Tony molle
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
          Hmm interesting Dave,

          I do have springs on the lower part of the pedals, but they are set so that they
          spring the pedals "back towards me" .... not sure as I don't have the diagrams
          in front of me right now, but I believe this is the way they are supposed to be:
          they came assembled this way.

          Regards,
          Tony

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
            Hello again Dave,

            Well you were right. I went home last night... had a very careful look at the
            adjustable pedal instructions. Nowhere do they make mention of how to install
            the springs..except there it was on the FIRST page... the diagram show the
            spring as you said: they were installed backwards on my pedals. Took me quite a
            while, but got the pedals dismantled and reassembled with the springs in
            correctly and BOY is there tension now!!!

            Here is a question for you. How have you bonded the rudder cables (closest to
            the pedals)? In respect to the pilot side, the right pedal seems to go nicely
            against the wheel well. But on the left side due to curvature, it looks like the
            cable will come off the wall quite a bit. Do I stop bonding around the air
            inlet? Did you run it over or under the air inlet? Picture would be great if you
            have one.  With only the right cable attached at the firewall, it was EXTREMELY
            difficult to advance or push back the rudder pedals. I am figuring it was simply
            because it was not lined up. That is, the line was no parallel to the floorboard
            thus making a smooth transition into the top of the rudder pedal guide.

            Thanks in advance,
            -Tony