Paint-N Numbers

  • blake hermel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hey Fellas

      I am repainting my new "used" 360. Can you tell me about how many gallons of paint it will need? I am doing one solid color.

      Also, what are the regs on N-Numbers for our planes? I wanted to do a catchy looking slanted number, but have read different reports on what I can, and cannot get away with.

      Thanks

      Blake Hermel
      N226EE
      Lancair 360
      26033 Island Rd
      Cleveland MN 56017
      507-381-0681

    • Glenn Long
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2010
        Blake,

        Now here's a solid answer - it depends? Ok, it depends on the color you are
        starting with, what you are going too and the type of paint (chemical &
        quality) you choose. Just like house paint, urethane quality varies as will
        it's covering ability.

        Use a good gun. An HVLP sprayer, Sata, Eastwood or DeVille Bliss will save
        you a lot of paint by reducing overspray. Gun quality is generally defined
        by the gun material - nickel, stainless etc and by how little air it takes
        to drive it. Less is better (like golf). A gun that works with less air has
        less overspray and more of your paint get's on the wings (rather than your
        shop tools and floor nearby) As a result you use less paint which helps pay
        for that expensive paint gun (good argument for wife).

        Some colors like red take layers and layers to get good depth on the surface
        (see my airplane - several sample coats, but not nearly covered yet). So 4-5
        gallons of Red, but white will cover quickly (unless you are covering purple
        or something) and require far less paint.

        If you sand the whole thing down put on a coat of good urethane primer (PPG,
        Dupont) you can choose the base (red, gray) which will help blend your
        overall color.

        If you simply want to wet sand, and the paint over, the mix of colors
        exposed will impact how much paint is required to cover. don't forget the
        clear coat.

        As with anything try a sample fairing, test panel or other and find out what
        works best.Don't leave sanded areas exposed, coat with primer if it will sit
        for a while.

        With painting there is no shortcut. Good preparation and care will result in
        a good job.

        Happy Painting,

        Glenn

        http://n661gl.blogspot.com