Re: Need assistance with my 235

  • vtail.pilot
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009
      Hi,

      Being a former 235/320 driver and not paying too much attention to this group for a few years I'm curious as to why the tail mods. What are you expecting from your efforts.
    • william
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009
        I have to rebuild the tail anyhow due to the last builder not bonding the plane correctly. I also hear that they take off and landing a lot better with the bigger tail on them. Do you have you plane in this area?

        Thanks,

        Wm.

        From: vtail.pilot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Lancair] Re: Need assistance with my 235
        To: lancair@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 6:21 PM

        Hi,

        Being a former 235/320 driver and not paying too much attention to this group for a few years I'm curious as to why the tail mods. What are you expecting from your efforts.

      • C Adams
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
          Does not the larger tail mod just give a pilot the ability to have less back pressure on the stick with full flaps or even be able to maybe trim for full flaps? That's it as far as I know with the exception of the larger tail adding a bit more drag.

          Cory

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
            I had heard that they lack rudder in take off and landing, This is one of the reasons that I thought if it is apart, just go with the bigger tail.

            William.

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            Being a former 235/320 driver and not paying too much attention to this group for a few years I'm curious as to why the tail mods. What are you expecting from your efforts.

          • Jan Byrd
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
              I owned a 235 with the small tail for about 2 years and yes I think it would have been better with the larger tail especially on landings.  To be honest It took me a while to get to where I felt comfortable landing the plane but still never tried it in the dark.  My landing light would have had to be better for trying to land at night. These little planes set down hot and things happen fast.  I really do think a larger tail would have helped but I never flew one with the larger tail so I'm not an authority like others may be.  jan.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
                I have not experienced a lack of rudder authority at low speeds on either tackoff or landing in my small tail 360.

                This is a first I have heard of this one.

                The entire flight profile will be more sluggish once you drop below 100 knots, but I have never experienced a problem with rudder authority.

                Maybe you will get a small percentage higher cross wind component with the bigger rudder?

                Cheers,

                Cory

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
                  Thanks,

                  William.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
                    Thanks,
                    William.

[...]

                  • Lee Parker
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
                      The bigger tail slows you down in cruise and is not really necessary.  With a little experience in the plane you won't have a problem with it.  It took me about six or seven hours to get confortable with take offs and landings.