RE: [Lancair] Lancair 360

  • Caldera, Mike
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
      Lancair Webmaster,

      Remove my name from you address book,(now)

      Best regards,
      Mike Caldera

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        You signed yourself up...remove yourself. www.yahoogroups.com
        <http://www.yahoogroups.com/> jeez

        ---
        Shannon Knoepflein <---> kycshann@...

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          GREAT, how do I get a hold of him and some pictures?

          CR

          There's a guy named Paul with a fast 360 at Hesperia, Ca that was for
          sale.. Lancair probably knows his full name and number. Great plane at
          80k I think
          OK guys I need help, i'm looking to buy a 360. I dont realy care
          about the tail and gear as long as it has the 200+ moter. Does any
          one know of any that are for sale????
          CR

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          340085:HM/A=810373/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          340085:HM/A=810373/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=810373/rand=427450672>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Bobby Wooten
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
            I am not a new member, however I haven't been very active other than
            reading what others have to say. I am nearing completion of my 360
            MKII with the Outback Gear. I hope to have it flying in August. I
            have posted some construction photos. Ordered a Superior 360 from Eagle
            Engines in California, supposed to be delivered 1st week of April. I
            am now eracking my brain about a prop. Looking at the MT 3 blade
            composite. Does anyone have issues with this prop or do you love it?
          • C Adams
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
              I have it. I have the longer bladed version with the flat tips rather than the shorter rounded blades I have scene on some aerobatic planes.

              For the price I would look at the American company that makes composite props. Supposedly they are cheaper than the MT.

              I have found my MT to not be very durable. It has chipped fairly easily.

              cory

              I am not a new member, however I haven't been very active other than
              reading what others have to say. I am nearing completion of my 360
              MKII with the Outback Gear. I hope to have it flying in August. I
              have posted some construction photos. Ordered a Superior 360 from Eagle
              Engines in California, supposed to be delivered 1st week of April. I
              am now eracking my brain about a prop. Looking at the MT 3 blade
              composite. Does anyone have issues with this prop or do you love it?

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-reco {
              margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
              #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
              font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

              #reco-grpname{
              font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
              #reco-category{
              font-size:77%;}
              #reco-desc{
              font-size:77%;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Bobby Don Wooten
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                Thanks, what is the name of the American company? I tried to Google
                composite props and can't seem to find any but MT

                I am not a new member, however I haven't been very active other than
                reading what others have to say. I am nearing completion of my 360
                MKII with the Outback Gear. I hope to have it flying in August. I
                have posted some construction photos. Ordered a Superior 360 from Eagle
                Engines in California, supposed to be delivered 1st week of April. I
                am now eracking my brain about a prop. Looking at the MT 3 blade
                composite. Does anyone have issues with this prop or do you love it?

                <!--

                #ygrp-mkp{
                border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px
                14px;}
                #ygrp-mkp hr{
                border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                0px;}
                #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                margin-bottom:10px;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                padding:0 0;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                font-family:Arial;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
                sans-serif;}
                #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
                sans-serif;}
[...]

                font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform
                :uppercase;}
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;paddin
                g-right:.5em;}
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-vital a{
                text-decoration:none;}

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:
                122%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;}
                o{font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal{
                margin:0 0 0 0;}
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;}
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq{margin:4;}
                -->

              • C Adams
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                  I believe it is http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/ Whirlwind.

                  Notice that my MT prop is composite over a wood core and their props are all composite.

                  Also with the dollar being as weak as it is, perhaps buying a German product will be a bit more expensive than a comparable prop from these folks.

                  I will say that MT's service has been good as I bought a composite spinner from them that delam'd and they replaced it with no costs.

                  If you want pure speed than 2 blade props are supposedly a bit more efficient where as a three blade is supposed to offer less vibration. Personally I have no basis for comparison.

                  Cory

[...]

                  color:#628c2a; font-size: 85%;font- weight:bold; line-height: 122%;margin: 10px
                  0px;}
                  #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                  margin-bottom: 10px;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                  padding:0 0;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                  color:#0000ff; text-decoration: none;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                  font-family: Arial;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                  margin:10px 0px;font-weight: bold;font- size:78%; line-height: 122%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                  margin-bottom: 10px;padding: 0 0;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean,
                  sans-serif;}
                  #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}
                  #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
                  sans-serif;}
                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height: 1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family: Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family: Arial;
                  clear:both;}
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  padding-top: 10px;font- family:Verdana; font-size: 77%;margin: 0;}
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;}
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  clear:both;margin: 25px 0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
                  .bld{font-weight: bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  font-family: Verdana;font- size:77%; padding:15px 0;}
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  font-family: verdana;font- size:77%; border-top: 1px solid #666;
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom: 10px;}

                  #ygrp-reco {
                  margin-bottom: 20px;padding: 0px;}
                  #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                  font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;}

                  #reco-grpname{
                  font-weight: bold;margin- top:10px; }
                  #reco-category{
                  font-size:77% ;}
                  #reco-desc{
                  font-size:77% ;}

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  background-color: #e0ecee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px;}
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform
                  :uppercase;}
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  list-style-type: none;clear: both;border: 1px solid #e0ecee;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; paddin
                  g-right:.5em; }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight: bold;}
                  #ygrp-vital a{
                  text-decoration: none;}

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration: underline; }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;font- size:77%; }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  padding:6px 13px;background- color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  list-style-type: square;padding: 6px 0;font-size: 77%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration: none;font- size:130% ;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                  background-color: #eee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:0 8px;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:
                  122%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration: none;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration: underline; }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;}
                  o{font-size: 0;}
                  .MsoNormal{
                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120% ;}
                  blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq{margin: 4;}
                  -->

                  http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

                  <!--

[...]

                • alfred_newman69
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                    Hi Bobby,

                    Whirlwind reputedly has very good service and makes a good propeller.
                    Like the MT, it is reputedly not as fast as a Hartzell.

                    Another American company that makes composited propellers is Aero
                    Composites (http://www.aerocomposites.com/). I don't have any
                    personal experience with them and they are a bit pricier; however,
                    they have some racing wins (are reputedly faster than the Whirlwind /
                    MT) and I haven't heard any negative reports.

                    The Hartzell is pretty close to your cheapest solution, and is tried
                    and true. Are you looking for a composite prop because of CG concerns?

                    Bill

                    --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "Bobby Don Wooten" <bdwo@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, what is the name of the American company? I tried to Google
                    > composite props and can't seem to find any but MT

                    Behalf Of

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                      Thanks, I am looking at Composite as the latest technology. I was advised
                      that due to the grass runway I am going to be based at that a three blade is
                      usually shorter and will produce less possibility of paint damage and
                      shorter take off distance. I have 4000 feet, so I am not sure that I need
                      the shorter take off or climb out. I am looking at the Composites for
                      less weight with the added blade. I want to do a lot of cross country
                      flying. I really want the best speed on the least fuel.

                      --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com <mailto:lancair%40yahoogroups.com> , "Bobby

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                        Bobby,

                        If you are going to be on grass make sure that you are able to buy the shortest bladed prop you can use.

                        As I mentioned I have longer MT blades rather than the shorter blades I have come across on Extras.

                        That being said when taxing through grass I have chopped the grass and delaminated the tips of my blades. I usually keep more gas in the nose strut than required so that in the winter (cooler air temps compresses the strut) it rests at about 4 inches rather than the 3 inches recommended by Lancair.

                        The problem with even taxing through grass is that the bumps combined with longer grass could cause the tips to strike the grass causing damage. It doesn't take much.

                        I would be interested in your experiences if you purchase either of the two American props mentioned thus far.

                        Personally I would love to land at an occasional grass strip but I do not trust the gear nor the tiny wheels on my 360 in the case of unknown bumps and such that may be hidden in the grass.

                        Also be sure to get quotes on insurance for grass strip operations if you are going to ensure.

                        Cheers,

                        Cory

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                          Bobby,

                          I think the best speed would be a two blade Hartzell Scimitar or I should say that was what one Lancair racer used at Reno with good results....

                          As for the length of the blades see my other post about grass strip operations and blade length...

                          Cheers,

                          Cory

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 19, 2008
                            Cory,

                            Thank you for the advice. I have upgraded to the Outback gear to help a
                            little with the grass. I have been checking with Hartzell, Whirlwind, Aero
                            Composite, and MT. They have all told me that I can get a 68" diameter.
                            At this point this has been the most difficult decision that I have had to
                            make in this whole project. So many options and restrictions at the same
                            time. Other than the Aero Composite the cost is not that wide of a spread.

                            Decisions, Decisions?

                            Thanks

                            Don Wooten" <bdwo@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks, what is the name of the American company? I tried to Google
                            > composite props and can't seem to find any but MT
                            >

                            > From: lancair@yahoogroups .com <mailto:lancair% 40yahoogroups. com>
                            > I have it. I have the longer bladed version with the flat tips
                            rather than
                            > the shorter rounded blades I have scene on some aerobatic planes.
                            >
                            > For the price I would look at the American company that makes composite
                            > props. Supposedly they are cheaper than the MT.
                            >
                            > I have found my MT to not be very durable. It has chipped fairly easily.
                            >
                            > cory

                          • Munier Khan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 14 2:56 PM
                              I am looking for wingtip extensions, since Lancair no longer makes them or has any in stock.

                              Lancair has also raised the price of the Canopy Latch Assembly from $300 to $900.. Does any one have one of thses??

                              Max Khan