Jeffco vs (plus) West system

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi there folks ... just came back from oshkosh and it was great seeing
      lots of lancairs and their owners out there. Something came up in my
      discussion with a few folks. My plane (what parts have been done)
      were built using the Jeffco system .... someone mentioned that I could
      also use the west system (one that I have used in the past). Can
      anyone tell me if it is ok to have both those working together on the
      plane... that is, say the main fuselage join was done with jeffco and
      i discover that I need to add more flox, etc ... would it matter if i
      put the west system on where there is jeffco. Any reply would be
      great. The West system is readily available locally as jeffco needs to
      be ordered and shipped. I purchased some jeffco from Lancair while at
      oshkosh, but am thinking that i might run short so would like to use
      the West when i do.

      Thanks,
      -Anthony
    • Santa Barbara Executive Jet
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
        Generally we dont use West Systems for structual items.  I think using it for flox and micro is ok.  Its is really nice with micro for sanding.
        I think you could use it for a lot of stuff in the airplane but I dont think I would use it on important structual glasswork.

        Bryan

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
          Anthony when I was at the factory they stressed that only Jeffco and
          Hysol be used on anything structural. You can buy Jeffco products
          from Aircraft Spruce. The last time I bought some Aircraft Spruce was
          cheaper. Shipping is only a couple of days usually. I think there
          is a Hazmat charge.

          David Standish