Looking for a Lanciar Painter

  • Carl Moro
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hi,

      Looking for a painter for our 1999 320

      The first paint job was very thin and got containimated on the top.

      It had little bubbles under the paint with have now plit open and then the rain has made streaks. where the paint has come off.

      Any thoughts.

      Scott

    • Glenn
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
        Scott,
        You don't need a good "Lancair" painter, you just need a good painter.
        The bubbles you saw breakout on your airplane are known as fish eyes
        on paint. That comes from improper preparation of the surface and/or
        dirt/oil which was not removed prior to spraying.

        Painting is like life, preparation is everything. You can use the best
        - most expensive Imron in the world, but poor preparation can send all
        that down the drain. Visit some local painters and see how the live.
        Is the shop clean? Are they meticulous about spraying? Is their spray
        booth separate from where they work and check to see that it is well
        ventilated. If your painter sprays in the same clothes he changes
        aircraft oil in, try someone else.

        Also, find out what kind of sprayer they use. Today's standard is the
        HVLP gun. You'll probably be surprised how close you live to a good
        painter.

        Glenn

        --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, Carl Moro <alllspam@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Looking for a painter for our 1999 320
        >
        > The first paint job was very thin and got containimated on the top.
        >
        > It had little bubbles under the paint with have now plit open and
        then the rain has made streaks. where the paint has come off.

        > Any thoughts.
        >
        > Scott

      • Brian Alley
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
          Scott, A IVPT I built is currently at Loehle in Tennessee being painted by Mike Loehle. See Loehle Aero Coatings at www.loehle.com . I've used their products on several Lancairs and will not take a job if the customer wants to use another system. The prices they charge to do paint work are reasonable as well. They have just opened a new paint facility.

          BRIAN ALLEY (N320WT)
          CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES
          101 Caroline Circle
          Hurricane, WV 25526
          www.carbonfibercomposites.net
          304-562-6800 home
          304-395-4932 cell

          How are you going to win by a nose if you don't stick out your neck?

        • C Adams
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
            Brian,

            This is intersting.

            Have you used his filler as well?

            Also is his paint a two part with a clear coat?

            Why would you think that his paint works better than other paints like PPG and
            such?

            Thanks,

            Cory
            --- Brian Alley <n320wt@...> wrote:

            > Scott, A IVPT I built is currently at Loehle in Tennessee being painted by
            > Mike Loehle. See Loehle Aero Coatings at www.loehle.com . I've used their
            > products on several Lancairs and will not take a job if the customer wants to
            > use another system. The prices they charge to do paint work are reasonable as
            > well. They have just opened a new paint facility.
            >
            > BRIAN ALLEY (N320WT)
            > CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES
            > 101 Caroline Circle
            > Hurricane, WV 25526
            > www.carbonfibercomposites.net
            > 304-562-6800 home
            > 304-395-4932 cell
            >
            > How are you going to win by a nose if you don't stick out your neck?

            Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
          • Brian Alley
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
              Cory, I have used the product Mike developed called Wonder-fil. Wipe it on, let it dry and wipe off the residue. It leaves a white looking powder in pinholes that absorbs solvents from the paint and becomes a part of the paint. It works exceptionally well and can be used with any polyurethane including clear. The white just disappears into the new chemical coat.

              Mike Loehle has been painting aircraft for 30+ years and has developed his coating system to be the most durable flexable system available. When you spray the black UV/filler primer it cures shiny. When you begin to sand, it will turn a dull gray leaving shiny black in any low spot or pinhole. The product acts as its own guide coat. When you are satisified with the surface work in black, you spray a coat of white UV/filler blocker to act as a base for color. The black and white are the same chemical but the black fills better.

              The top coats are polyurethane and shine exceptionally well. This is not a base coat/clear coat system. The color coats will be shiny enough for most aircraft. If you really want a +10 shine, you can use the crystal clear over your paint to get that foot deep look. It takes less coats to get what you want than any other system I've used and the clear absolutely will not yellow.

              What makes this system perfect for aircraft is the durability and flexability. The primers are almost impossible to remove with chemical strippers when cured. You have to sand this stuff off. It sands very easily and gives a super slick surface. I've used WLS and waited 2 days to sand where Loehle chemicals are sandable in an hour. I recently did a Legacy and was able to complete all surface and primer work on the wings in 2 days. On the fuselage, I did micro on the seam tapes only and sprayed the UV/filler blocker on the bare carbon. All of the porousity of the bare carbon was gone with the first application of two sprayed coats of black.I sprayed two coats 15 minutes apart and begin sanding from there.

              The Loehle system was originally developed for fabric covered aircraft like the wood 5151 Mustang kit they sell. I built a Wittman Tailwind and covered it with Stits/ Polyfiber and had to live with the results for 10 years. It looked OK but not nearly as good as Mikes factory aircraft. I've found that Loehle coatings save so much time, I refuse to use anything else.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                Brian,

                Thank you. This is really good information. I've never heard of a primer be
                able to be sanded so quickly. That would be a huge time saver.

                This may be unrelated but my 360 top cowling as well as another 360 on our
                airfield suffer cracked paint. Is there a way to prevent that from happening
                with a specific type of paint and or some possible reinforcing of the cowling
                with carbon fiber?

                I might have to fly out to see your facility.

                Thanks,

                Cory

              • alfred_newman69
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Hi Cory,

                  Cracked paint and hairline cracks in the fiberglass are a common
                  problem on the 360s due to tight cowl / high heat. I don't know about
                  paint solutions, but one thing a friend of mine did was to always open
                  the oil filler door to help better circulate the air under the cowl
                  after he landed.

                  Can't hurt...

                  Bill

                  --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, C Adams <coryadams@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  two coats
                  > > 15 minutes apart and begin sanding from there.
                  > >
                  > > The Loehle system was originally developed for fabric covered
                  aircraft like
                  > > the wood 5151 Mustang kit they sell. I built a Wittman Tailwind
                  and covered
                  > > it with Stits/ Polyfiber and had to live with the results for 10
                  years. It
                  > > looked OK but not nearly as good as Mikes factory aircraft. I've
                  found that
                  > > Loehle coatings save so much time, I refuse to use anything else.
                  > >

                  > > BRIAN ALLEY (N320WT)
                  > > CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES
                  > > 101 Caroline Circle
                  > > Hurricane, WV 25526
                  > > www.carbonfibercomposites.net
                  > > 304-562-6800 home
                  > > 304-395-4932 cell
                  > >
                  > > How are you going to win by a nose if you don't stick out your neck?

                  today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

                • Chris Zavatson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Cory,
                    Are the cracks in line with the aluminum baffling? A rough start and shut down can cause a physical impact between the baffling and the cowl causing cracks if the two are too close together. You'll see witness marks on the inside of the cowling.
                    Outside of that, I used PPG automotive paint without any problems in 1,000 hours.
                    Chris

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                        Brian, I'm at VKX in the DC area. It would be a quick flight to where you are.