Re: [Lancair] Re: help me become like you

  • C Adams
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
      We have a sports class license but it requires the aircraft to be under a
      certain weight and horse power (engine size). Ultralight aircraft fit in this
      category.

      The Lancair is considered high performance in the US as I would guess as is the
      case in all of the EU and the Legacy is a rocket. It's so far beyond an
      ultralight. Think of the difference between uncle Giovani's go cart with a two
      stroke engine and the Ferrari F355. They race Legacy aircraft at the Reno air
      races!

      Perhaps Italy has an exception for aircraft that are 'experimental'?

      If you call a local airport and ask a flight instructor I'm sure that he/she
      will know what the requirements are for your ULM.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • firpoalex
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
        Thanks Bill and C admas, you are very helpful.
        but unfortunatelly you are telling me that flying these plaines will
        cost me ......
        big question how mutch cost to mantain a legacy per year?

        --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, C Adams <coryadams@y...> wrote:

        > We have a sports class license but it requires the aircraft to be
        under a
        > certain weight and horse power (engine size). Ultralight aircraft
        fit in this
        > category.
        >
        > The Lancair is considered high performance in the US as I would
        guess as is the
        > case in all of the EU and the Legacy is a rocket. It's so far beyond an
        > ultralight. Think of the difference between uncle Giovani's go cart
        with a two
        > stroke engine and the Ferrari F355. They race Legacy aircraft at
        the Reno air
        > races!
        >
        > Perhaps Italy has an exception for aircraft that are 'experimental'?
        >
        > If you call a local airport and ask a flight instructor I'm sure
        that he/she
        > will know what the requirements are for your ULM.
        >
        > --- firpoalex <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        >
        > > So you are telling me bad news, a ulm in italy is not expensive to
        > > mantain, but normal license is far too expensive.what is the
        > > difference from ulm and experimantal? i thought your experimental is
        > > like our ulm
        > >
        > > --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Reister" <reisterb@b...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Careful - the European "ULM" I suspect is an Ultralight license.
        > > Although
        > > > Lancairs are Experimental, they are far too fast to qualify
        under the
        > > > Ultralight rules. Don't really know the classifications there, but
        > > you need
        > > > a "normal" pilot's license to fly a Lancair in Europe.
        > > >
        > > > Italy is delightful, by the way. I got married there last
        October (in
        > > > Rome), and also spent a week in Tuscany.
        > > >
        > > > Ciao,
        > > >
        > > > Bill

      • Bill Reister
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hehe - probably nothing the first year!

          It costs what it costs. If you do the work, parts. Maybe nothing some
          years; engine or prop overhaul other years (as much as $20,000 to overhaul
          an IO-540, if things go bad). The TBO time of around 2,000 hours is
          RECOMMENDED. If compressions go bad, or some other problem occurs, you
          could do an overhaul in a single year (rare, but it happens). If you treat
          your airplane lovingly, you might get 3,000 hours before an overhaul.

          There are probably magazine articles that might give you some idea, but
          there is no "fixed price." And, of course, if you DAMAGE the airplane that
          is extra...

          Thanks Bill and C admas, you are very helpful.
          but unfortunatelly you are telling me that flying these plaines will
          cost me ......
          big question how mutch cost to mantain a legacy per year?

          --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, C Adams <coryadams@y...> wrote:

          > We have a sports class license but it requires the aircraft to be
          under a
          > certain weight and horse power (engine size). Ultralight aircraft
          fit in this
          > category.
          >
          > The Lancair is considered high performance in the US as I would
          guess as is the
          > case in all of the EU and the Legacy is a rocket. It's so far beyond an
          > ultralight. Think of the difference between uncle Giovani's go cart
          with a two
          > stroke engine and the Ferrari F355. They race Legacy aircraft at
          the Reno air
          > races!
          >
          > Perhaps Italy has an exception for aircraft that are 'experimental'?
          >
          > If you call a local airport and ask a flight instructor I'm sure
          that he/she
          > will know what the requirements are for your ULM.
          >
          > --- firpoalex <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >
          > > So you are telling me bad news, a ulm in italy is not expensive to
          > > mantain, but normal license is far too expensive.what is the
          > > difference from ulm and experimantal? i thought your experimental is
          > > like our ulm
          > >
          > > --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Reister" <reisterb@b...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Careful - the European "ULM" I suspect is an Ultralight license.
          > > Although
          > > > Lancairs are Experimental, they are far too fast to qualify
          under the
          > > > Ultralight rules. Don't really know the classifications there, but
          > > you need
          > > > a "normal" pilot's license to fly a Lancair in Europe.
          > > >
          > > > Italy is delightful, by the way. I got married there last
          October (in
          > > > Rome), and also spent a week in Tuscany.
          > > >
          > > > Ciao,
          > > >
          > > > Bill

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • firpoalex
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
            and what about insurance and taxes?

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
              You really should start here.

              1980 Cessna 152 ll
              $28,500.00; AR; 6400.00 TTAF Added: 01-25-2006
              http://www.ipilot.com/classifieds/display.aspx?pid=9516

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                In Italy? I have no idea. They may not even insure you unless you are
                instrument rated with over 500 hours flying time.

                > It costs what it costs. If you do the work, parts. Maybe nothing some
                > years; engine or prop overhaul other years (as much as $20,000 to
                overhaul
                > an IO-540, if things go bad). The TBO time of around 2,000 hours is
                > RECOMMENDED. If compressions go bad, or some other problem occurs, you
                > could do an overhaul in a single year (rare, but it happens). If
                you treat
                > your airplane lovingly, you might get 3,000 hours before an overhaul.
                >
                > There are probably magazine articles that might give you some idea, but
                > there is no "fixed price." And, of course, if you DAMAGE the
                airplane that
                > is extra...

                Yahoo! Groups Links