New

  • brad4666k
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 11, 2006
      Hello All, I am new to the group, I am building a non Pressurized IV
      and regularly make progress. Like to get some input from time to time
      from those that have traveled the same road. Anybody out there
      currently building?
    • Brian Alley
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 11, 2006
        Hi Brad, I'm in WV building a IVPT. I provide builder asistance and currently I'm involved in 5 projects, 4 lancair IV's and a Glasair III. Where are you located? What stage of construction are you working on? I have tons of pictures if you have questions. There are lots of great people working on these fantastic airplanes all over the country and most are very willing to answere questions. Are you on the LML? Most builders and all of my customers comunicate there.

        BRIAN ALLEY (N320WT)
        CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES
        101 Caroline Circle
        Hurricane, WV 25526
        304-562-6800 home
        304-395-4932 cell

        How are you going to win by a nose if you don't stick out your neck?

      • mikeeasley@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 12, 2006
          Brad,

          This group is pretty quiet, but here's a link to join the very active
          Lancair group.

          _www.lancaironline.net_ (http://www.lancaironline.net)

          You can scroll down and find the link to join the list.

          Mike Easley
          Colorado Springs
          Super ES flying

        • John N. Strain II
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 12, 2006
            Brad, we would like you to consider us for your air conditioning needs when they arrive. We also have a special overhead that delivers 2X as much airflow to the vents. Check us out online at www.flightlineac.com and give us a call if we can be of any assistance.

            John Strain - President
            Flightline AC Inc.
            541-330-5466

            brad4666k <brad4666k@...> wrote:
            Hello All, I am new to the group, I am building a non Pressurized IV
            and regularly make progress. Like to get some input from time to time
            from those that have traveled the same road. Anybody out there
            currently building?

            Aviation school Aviation training Aviation training school Aviation training schools Cheap plane tickets Plane tickets

          • Brad jepp
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 13, 2006
              Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. I am in Sacramento.
              Sounds like you would have some good input on the
              IV's. Do you have a good option for static wicks
              besides the lancair $500 kit?

              --- Brian Alley <n320wt@...> wrote:

              > Hi Brad, I'm in WV building a IVPT. I provide
              > builder asistance and currently I'm involved in 5
              > projects, 4 lancair IV's and a Glasair III. Where
              > are you located? What stage of construction are you
              > working on? I have tons of pictures if you have
              > questions. There are lots of great people working on
              > these fantastic airplanes all over the country and
              > most are very willing to answere questions. Are you
              > on the LML? Most builders and all of my customers
              > comunicate there.
              >
              > BRIAN ALLEY (N320WT)
              > CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES
              > 101 Caroline Circle
              > Hurricane, WV 25526
              > 304-562-6800 home
              > 304-395-4932 cell
              >
              > How are you going to win by a nose if you don't
              > stick out your neck?

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • C Adams
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 17, 2006
                Hello folks,

                I'm in the market for a 320 or 360. I've been watching trade-a-plane,
                controller.com and barnstormers.com and it seems like 235s, 320s and 360s run
                a wide range of prices but I've talked to folks that have sold very good 320s
                for 75k and I see good 320s advertised for over 100K in some cases.

                Two questions:

                - What are people getting for these airframes?
                - Does anybody know of a good airplane for sale advertised in places other than
                the ones listed above?

                Thanks,

                Cory

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Jim Auman
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 17, 2006
                  They are the best in terms of design and construction. Every penny over 75K
                  is due to Accessories and equipment. Custom Paint and Interiors up the
                  anti.

                  A rare find will be something less than 75K. Don't hold your breath if you
                  are really serious. Get out your checkbook. Lancairs are serious.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 17, 2006
                    Cory,

                    Buying a used experimental has even more variables than a certified bird.
                    Beyond the usual avionics and engine time differences, you have engine,
                    propeller, and the biggie, workmanship. I think 75K to over 100K is a reasonable
                    range considering the variety of 320s and 360s in the fleet. Each aircraft
                    has to be evaluated based on its own merits.

                    I guess what I'm saying is there's no easy answer to your question.

                    Mike Easley
                    Colorado Springs
                    Super ES flying

                  • Bill Reister
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 17, 2006
                      Cory,

                      Well, I've had my plane for sale on and off for 2 years (see "Best Bang for
                      the Buck!" at Barnstormers). Over those two years, I've seen most of the
                      same Lancairs for sale, with varying prices. My deductions:

                      - Most of these people are either asking to get out of their bird, or asking
                      a fair price, or fishing for a windfall. No help, huh? However, my
                      suspicion is that none, or almost none, are doing so poorly (financially)
                      that they will "give it away." Myself case in point - I would like to get
                      into a 4 seater some day, but am perfectly happy to keep flying my plane
                      until the right buyer comes along. I have close to $80k in mine (because of
                      the IFR upgrades) and know I will lose a little of that. Someone who wants
                      fast, cheap IFR capability will fall in love with my plane one day and then
                      we will strike a bargain.
                      - Prices really vary with a couple of factors: Quality (a small amount, and
                      that includes hours until overhaul); Performance (a large amount); and
                      avionics. Two Lancair 360's with very different panels will have very
                      different prices.

                      If you want a "bargain" and can be comfortable in one, there is a Lancair
                      235 for sale for around $45k. He has lost his medical and cannot fly it.
                      For the performance it is and EXTREMELY good deal, and you could upgrade the
                      panel with something like the Blue Mountain EFIS for around $6k plus an
                      inexpensive IFR certified approach GPS / ILS (plus your time to install).
                      You would then have a reasonable IFR bird 180+mph for about $60 - $65k.

                      Or, you can buy mine... :)

                      Regards,

                      Bill Reister
                      Atlanta GA
                      404 512 0500

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 17, 2006
                        Thanks to both gentlemen for your replies.

                        I'm familiar with your aircraft Bill as well as the one offered for 45,900.
                        They are both great looking birds. I haven't sat in a 235 and am wondering how
                        it would accomodate somebody at 6'.

                        I'm still kicking myself in the butt because I fell in love with a 320 2 years
                        ago that somebody was trying to trade which fell through and I could never get
                        a hold of the owner until recently and he had sold it for 75k and it was
                        beautiful with a very clean panel! The builder was an AMP as well.

                        I also took a serious look at Greg's 360 for sale in PHX. That is a nice
                        looking ship. No IFR capability and I was trying to figure out what it would
                        take to make it IFR. You mention an inexpensive certified approach IFR GPS.
                        Which one fits the bill for that?

                        Any opinions on the 2 blade Hartzell vs the 3 blade MT on a 360 as well?

                        Thanks,

                        Cory

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • David Standish
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 17, 2006
                          --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "brad4666k" <brad4666k@y...> wrote:

                          > Hello All, I am new to the group, I am building a non Pressurized IV
                          > and regularly make progress. Like to get some input from time to time
                          > from those that have traveled the same road. Anybody out there
                          > currently building?

                          I am nearly finished with a non-pressurized IV. I would be happy to
                          help if I can.

                          David Standish
                          http://home.bresnan.net/~carbonflier/carbon.html
                          sorry I haven't updated the page in a long time
                        • David Standish
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 17, 2006
                            I bought wicks (Dayton-Granger out of Florida) from a local shop
                            (Aerotronics here in Billings) the total cost was about the same. 15
                            wicks at about $25 apiece and coductive epoxy for about $100.
                            David Standish

                            --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, Brad jepp <brad4666k@y...> wrote:

                            > Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. I am in Sacramento.
                            > Sounds like you would have some good input on the
                            > IV's. Do you have a good option for static wicks
                            > besides the lancair $500 kit?
                            >
                            > --- Brian Alley <n320wt@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi Brad, I'm in WV building a IVPT. I provide
                            > > builder asistance and currently I'm involved in 5
                            > > projects, 4 lancair IV's and a Glasair III. Where
                            > > are you located? What stage of construction are you
                            > > working on? I have tons of pictures if you have
                            > > questions. There are lots of great people working on
                            > > these fantastic airplanes all over the country and
                            > > most are very willing to answere questions. Are you
                            > > on the LML? Most builders and all of my customers
                            > > comunicate there.
                            > >
                            > > BRIAN ALLEY (N320WT)
                            > > CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES
                            > > 101 Caroline Circle
                            > > Hurricane, WV 25526
                            > > 304-562-6800 home
                            > > 304-395-4932 cell
                            > >
                            > > How are you going to win by a nose if you don't
                            > > stick out your neck?

                            > > removed]

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Brad jepp
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 18, 2006
                              Thanks for the reply-first question would be-Did you
                              install static wicks and what did you use. Lancair
                              wants close to $500 for the kit, I would like to make
                              my own
                              Brad

                              --- David Standish <carbonflier@...> wrote:

                              > --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "brad4666k"
                              > <brad4666k@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello All, I am new to the group, I am building a
                              > non Pressurized IV
                              > > and regularly make progress. Like to get some
                              > input from time to time
                              > > from those that have traveled the same road.
                              > Anybody out there
                              > > currently building?
                              > >
                              > I am nearly finished with a non-pressurized IV. I
                              > would be happy to
                              > help if I can.
                              >
                              > David Standish
                              > http://home.bresnan.net/~carbonflier/carbon.html
                              > sorry I haven't updated the page in a long time

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Jim Wolf
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 19, 2006
                                With reference to pilot height, I have a 235 and am
                                5'9" tall. If I were an inch or so taller I would be
                                somewhat cramped as far as height goes. So I think
                                that a 6 footer is going to be very cramped. It also
                                has to do with the distance from your butt to the top
                                of your head rather than overall height. Just my
                                opinion.

                                Jim Wolf

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • C Adams
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 19, 2006
                                  That is helpful. I have not sat in a 235 - only 320s and 360s which fit
                                  well....

                                  Thanks,

                                  Cory

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Bill Reister
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 19, 2006
                                    The builder of my aircraft was 6'2", and he fit fine. A good rule of thumb
                                    for the 235: If your height (in inches) minus your inseam is <= 42, then
                                    you can fit. Taller guys may need to have special headsets, though.

                                    Bill Reister

                                    --- C Adams <coryadams@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > my plane one day and then
                                    > > we will strike a bargain.
                                    > > - Prices really vary with a couple of factors:
                                    > Quality (a small amount, and
                                    > > that includes hours until overhaul); Performance
                                    > (a large amount); and
                                    > > avionics. Two Lancair 360's with very different
                                    > panels will have very
                                    > > different prices.
                                    > >
                                    > > If you want a "bargain" and can be comfortable in
                                    > one, there is a Lancair
                                    > > 235 for sale for around $45k. He has lost his
                                    > medical and cannot fly it.
                                    > > For the performance it is and EXTREMELY good deal,
                                    > and you could upgrade the
                                    > > panel with something like the Blue Mountain EFIS
                                    > for around $6k plus an
                                    > > inexpensive IFR certified approach GPS / ILS (plus
                                    > your time to install).
                                    > > You would then have a reasonable IFR bird 180+mph

                                  • theteejer
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                                      Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I may finally be in a position to
                                      buy. How would I go about locating the gentleman that owns this 235?

                                      Thank you very much,
                                      Terence

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                        It's not on tradeaplane anymore. It may be sold...

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                          But here is another that has several aircraft. I spoke to him and asked for
                                          pics but he never sent them. Maybe you can get him to budge?

                                          LANCAIRS - THREE IV's, $225,000/ $450,000. Three 360's $65,000/ $85,000. Legacy
                                          - not completed $145,000. Our business is building, upgrading and repairing
                                          Lancairs. Hogge Aircraft, CA/(619) 549-9606.

                                          This is nice as well:

                                          1994 LANCAIR 320, 256TT, IO-320 160hp, Hartzell CS, King IFR with Apollo GPS,
                                          Century AP, JPI Slimline. 180 kts at 70% at 7.6 gph. $85,000. Contact MN/(612)
                                          805-4855; lancair.320@...
                                          http://tappix.com/735986

                                          Cory

                                          --- theteejer <misbehaved@...> wrote:

                                          > Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I may finally be in a position to
                                          > buy. How would I go about locating the gentleman that owns this 235?
                                          >
                                          > Thank you very much,
                                          > Terence
                                          >

                                          > > If you want a "bargain" and can be comfortable in one, there is a
                                          > Lancair 235 for sale for around $45k.

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Jay Roberts
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 27, 2006
                                            Has anyone installed the Trutrak wing leveler and the altitude hold in a
                                            320/360? If so, does the aileron servo fit under the passenger seat? I
                                            assume there will be no problem mounting the alt hold behind the rear
                                            bulkhead?
                                            Thanks for sharing your experiences.
                                            Jay
                                          • alfred_newman69
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 27, 2006
                                              Jay,

                                              I put a TruTrak in my 235 (DFC200, but should be same servos). They
                                              may be enough different so it doesn't count, but my servo went in a
                                              pretty obvious place - just in front of and slightly left of the right
                                              hand stick. A small cover prevents accidentally disturbing it, but
                                              because you can't physically get your foot down there anyway it isn't
                                              in any danger or obtrusive in any way.

                                              I mounted the elevator servo on the back side of the left seat, near
                                              the centerline. The activator arm is centered with the pushrod, and
                                              the whole thing fit under the standard baffles back there.

                                              By the way, that was 3 years ago. I had to do some initial
                                              trouble-shooting including a trip to the factory, but now it works
                                              like a champ.

                                              Don't know if that helps.

                                              Bill

                                              --- In lancair@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Roberts" <jaroberts428dm@...> wrote:

                                              > Has anyone installed the Trutrak wing leveler and the altitude hold
                                              in a
                                              > 320/360? If so, does the aileron servo fit under the passenger
                                              seat? I
                                              > assume there will be no problem mounting the alt hold behind the rear
                                              > bulkhead?
                                              > Thanks for sharing your experiences.
                                              > Jay

                                            • Jim Wolf
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 27, 2006
                                                I also installed the TruTrak in my 235/320 with GPS
                                                tracking and I think it is awsome. Parts are installed
                                                just as you described.

                                                Jim

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com