Analysis of note: Rausch, "_Essekenta Endamarwa_ - Names from _The Return of the Shadow_, _The Treason of Isengard_ and _The War of the Ring_

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 5:34 AM
      Roman Rausch has been compiling an extensive index, with commentary and
      analysis, of all Elvish personal and place names given in _The Return
      of the Shadow_, _The Treason of Isengard_ and _The War of the Ring_.
      This is largely unexplored linguistic territory, and one that is no
      doubt ripe with new insight into Tolkien's actual modes of name
      construction (in particular) and word construction generally,
      especially as regards compounds. I'd like to invite our scholars to
      study Roman's work, and to provide comment on it to him, and further to
      invite scholarly discussion of the work and the topic on this list.

      <http://sindanorie.lima-city.de/RS&TI&WR.htm>

      I would like to take this opportunity to address one comment to Roman
      regarding a statement in his introduction:

      "Tolkien had no necessity to note the root and origin corresponding to
      every single name in his legendarium, while many other notes are
      probably still unpublished."

      I'm not sure why Roman considers it "probable" that there are "many
      other notes" bearing on these names "still unpublished": doesn't the
      observation in the first part of this sentence � which is quite correct
      � render the existence of such notes _less_, not more, "probable"?
      Names encountered in drafts of narrative writings like those in _RotS_,
      _ToI_, and _WotR_ almost always arose on the spot. When "thinking with
      his pen" like this, Tolkien could generate names rapidly and quite
      transiently, and it is in fact very rarely the case that he would then
      go on to restate and analyze them further. Which is to to say, I doubt
      very much that Tolkien ever wrote anything more about the plethora
      of draft names encountered in _RotS_, _ToI_, and _WotR_ than has
      already been published, nor have I seen any such notes anywhere in
      Tolkien's manuscripts. As has previously been noted, Christopher
      Tolkien had a particular concern (and need) to consider and present
      evidence regarding names encountered in the _legendarium_ (as dating of
      texts not infrequently relies at least in part on the evidence of
      shifting nomenclature and their relative ordering), and has in fact
      been quite thorough in presenting such notes as exist among Tolkien's
      manuscripts.

      Carl