Noriac _d_

  • Helios De Rosario Martínez
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2006
      The 16th issue of _Parma Eldalamberon_ is a very welcome Christmas gift
      indeed. Lots of thanks to the editors for their unfailing work!

      In the first part of the "Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets", which I have just
      finished to read, it is very interesting to see how the characters of
      Tolkien's invented scripts progressively evolved from the Valmaric-like
      to the Tengwar-like, and how the most part of these intermediate scripts
      were not just "drafts", but developed complete systems with probably
      some mythological background and in cases intended to coexist, as
      suggested by that kind of "Roseta Stone" which PF15 is (p. 48), with
      samples in _Banyaric_, _Sinyatic_ and _Noriac_ scripts of the same rhyme.

      This being said, I would like to note a striking detail in the consonant
      table describing the _Noriac_ script (PF12a, PE16:40). There, the _d_ is
      represented by the same short stem and single closed bow (like the
      tengwa _vala_) assigned to _b_ on its left. However, both the pattern of
      the table and the examples at other pages (_diu_ - for English _due_ -
      at p. 41, _raised_ at p. 42 and the Noriac sample at p. 48), clearly
      show that a character with an open bow (like the tengwa _óre_) was
      intended instead. That item in the table of PF12a should be, therefore,
      just a slip. Nevertheless, if it were an authorial slip, this has not
      been marked by Arden, so perhaps the editors would be so kind to clarify
      whether this was the case.

      Best regards, and happy new year!

      Helios

      LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
      http://es.voice.yahoo.com
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2006
        On Dec 28, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Helios De Rosario Martínez wrote:

        > This being said, I would like to note a striking detail in the consonant
        > table describing the _Noriac_ script (PF12a, PE16:40). There, the _d_ is
        > represented by the same short stem and single closed bow (like the
        > tengwa _vala_) assigned to _b_ on its left.

        It's an editorial slip, I pasted the character for <b> twice. Mea culpa. The Noriac <d> should of course look like Fëanorian _óre_. Thanks for catching the error, Helios!

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
        --Elvish proverb