Re: _oromandi_ 'mountain dweller' : Possible erratum in PE16

  • cgilson75
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2006
      There is still a discrepancy here, since on the next page, when we are
      discussing line 5 of the poem itself, we say that _oromandi_ is glossed
      as 'mountain dwellers'.

      If the word actually is singular in the poem, as the singular gloss in
      the manuscript suggests is possible, that would explain the singular
      verb form _lende_ at the end of this line (_I·oromandi tanna lende_)
      without the need to appeal to the parallel usage of singular verb
      with plural subject in the earliest form of the poem.

      I suppose, in that case, the _-i_ could be a feminine ending (as in _tári_),
      perhaps referring to _Nielikkis_ as the 'mountain dweller' -- though
      Tolkien does not indicate in the gloss that the noun is feminine. In the
      end it seems to remain uncertain what his intended conception for this
      phrase in the late revision of this poem actually was.

      -- Christopher Gilson