"Elvish as She Is Spoke"

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2006
      With the _very_ kind permission of the editors and publishers of _The
      Lord of the Rings 1954–2004: Scholarship in Honor of Richard E.
      Blackwelder_[1], I am pleased to be able to republish my article
      "Elvish as She Is Spoke" on the E.L.F. web site at: <http://
      www.elvish.org/articles/>

      "Elvish as She Is Spoke" is an examination of Tolkien's purposes in
      inventing his Elvish languages and his practices in describing them,
      their consequent nature, and the inherent pitfalls in any attempt to
      "speak Elvish". I'd like to record here my special thanks to Wayne
      and Christina for their encouragement in completing this essay, and
      for their always exemplary editorial and production work; also to
      Matt Blessing of the Marquette archives for hosting this conference
      and for inviting me to give this talk; and to all three for their
      very kind permission to republish this article on the E.L.F.'s web site.

      [1]: Marquette, 2006, ed. Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull.
      <http://www.marquette.edu/library/information/news/2006/jrrt_proceedings.html>.

      Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2006
        Yahoo group's handling of links is sorely vexing. The unmangled link
        to the E.L.F.'s "Articles" page, where "Elvish as She Is Spoke" can
        be found, is:

        <http://www.elvish.org/articles/>

        Carl