_oromandi_ 'mountain dweller' : Possible erratum in PE16

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2006
      Hello All !

      First of all I would like to thank you for Parma 16.

      It looks like "oromandi" PE16:96 should be 'mountain dwellers', not
      _dweller_, I guess ?

      cheers,

      Edouard Kloczko

      [I have examined my photocopy of the ms., and the Glossarial
      Commentary to this poem as published is accurate: _oromandi_
      is glossed there as 'mountain dweller', not 'mountain dwellers'.
      -- PHW]
    • cgilson75
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2006
        There is still a discrepancy here, since on the next page, when we are
        discussing line 5 of the poem itself, we say that _oromandi_ is glossed
        as 'mountain dwellers'.

        If the word actually is singular in the poem, as the singular gloss in
        the manuscript suggests is possible, that would explain the singular
        verb form _lende_ at the end of this line (_I·oromandi tanna lende_)
        without the need to appeal to the parallel usage of singular verb
        with plural subject in the earliest form of the poem.

        I suppose, in that case, the _-i_ could be a feminine ending (as in _t√°ri_),
        perhaps referring to _Nielikkis_ as the 'mountain dweller' -- though
        Tolkien does not indicate in the gloss that the noun is feminine. In the
        end it seems to remain uncertain what his intended conception for this
        phrase in the late revision of this poem actually was.

        -- Christopher Gilson