Re: Rhotacism and stress (was Re: "Tolkien in Oxford")

  • Roman Rausch
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 8, 2006
      --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Harm J. Schelhaas"
      <harm.j.schelhaas@...> wrote:

      >When I pointed out that the discussion was rather why the s
      >("_mondóSaresse_") hadn't turned into an r, her reply was that
      >rhotacism of the first consonant in the second element of a
      >compound is so unheard of, that she as a linguist had not realized
      >that one would think of it at all, and that Tolkien apparently
      >would have thought the same. Hence the retention of the s.

      >[Thanks for reporting this. I have no trouble believe it to be so,
      >though I would caution that even if so, it surely depends on the age
      >of the compound and to what degree it is perceived to be a compound
      >by the speakers of the language. [...] CFH]

      An example for an ancient compound with rhotacism carried out seems to
      exist, namely: Q _Tindómerel_ *'daughter/child of twilight' (V:385)
      with the primitive form given as _tindômiselde_, root SEL-D.

      But in the context of _Mondósaresse_ this discussion is now pointless
      anyway - the note from "Quendi & Eldar" Andreas Johansson pointed out
      in message #950 should have the most relevance here, I think.

      Roman R.