_epe_ 'before' and 'after' (was Re: Call for input: _Vinyar Tengwar_ errata)

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8 1:10 PM
      >"_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."

      I see. May I ask, then, what was Bill's motivation to correct/change the
      gloss of _epe_?

      (Note that my question concerns the attested meaning(s) of the word _epe_,
      regardless of what may be guessed from the word _epessi_.)

      /Fredrik

      [Short answer: Bill discovered that he'd given the wrong translation for
      _epe_ from the source document in question. Carl]
    • williamwelden
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8 3:46 PM
        --- In lambengolmor@y..., Fredrik <gwaihir@s...> wrote:

        > >"_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."
        >
        > I see. May I ask, then, what was Bill's motivation to correct/change the
        > gloss of _epe_?

        In the document I cited, _epe_ is clearly glossed 'before'. As a
        novice to this sort of work, I glossed the word based on my
        (incorrect) confidence that it meant 'after', without bothering to
        check the reference. I have learned my lesson, and spent quite a few
        hours looking up the references for the work I did in the latest VT.

        --Bill