Re: [Lambengolmor] Rhotacism and stress (was Re: "Tolkien in Oxford")

  • Pavel Iosad
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006

      > Hm. I thought the stress in _Mondósaresse_ would lie on the _e_
      > preceding the double consonant _ss_ (according to the
      > pronunciation rules as for example given in the Appendices of
      >_LotR_, although the example given there involves double _n_)?

      This is the realm of guesswork: the rule, as given, does imply that we
      could have _s_/_r_ alternations in the paradigm relative to stress
      (witness similar developments in Germanic due to Werner's law with
      rhotacised and non-rhotacised forms coinhabiting the same paradigm, as
      in OIcel _kjósa_, participle _kørinn_ 'to choose'). Indeed the very
      word _ósanwe_ could be expected to exhibit this alternation, of
      course. However, since no examples are provided by Tolkien, it is
      rather pointless to speculate whether the paradigm would be levelled
      to follow the nominative or remain true to the historical phonology;
      what we can do is only note that something like that could be
      possible.

      --Pavel
    • Beregond. Anders Stenström
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
        I wrote:

        > With some luck, the reproduction in the printed catalogue is
        > large enough to allow a more certain reading.

        The catalogue has arrived, and everything is legible. The
        words above the second line of tengwar are:

        "In Elvish language
        & script"

        The note in green reads:

        "Here are some specimens. A is a transliteration
        of English. But this happens not to be very decorative
        and lacks the XX <a-tehta> = a. B is a translation
        into Elvish (Quenya)"

        XX is a deleted "de", apparently the start of a
        repetitious "decorative". The a-tehta is underlined.

        (For the final note, in black, see Carl's reading
        earlier in this thread.)

        Suilad,

        Beregond, Anders Stenstr�m
      • j_mach_wust
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
          Beregond/Anders Stenström wrote:
          > The catalogue has arrived, and everything is legible.

          May I ask for the last sign of the second tengwar transcription of
          'Mondósaresse'? On the scan available at Christie's, I can make out
          that there is the tengwa 'esse', but I cannot see whether there is an
          acute above, and--if there is an acute--whether the acute is below the
          upper stroke of esse or above.

          grüess
          j. 'mach' wust
        • hisilome
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
            --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Pavel Iosad" <edricson@...>
            wrote:

            > > Hm. I thought the stress in _Mondósaresse_ would lie on the _e_
            > > preceding the double consonant _ss_ (according to the
            > > pronunciation rules as for example given in the Appendices of
            > >_LotR_, although the example given there involves double _n_)?
            >
            >This is the realm of guesswork: the rule, as given, does imply that
            >we could have _s_/_r_ alternations in the paradigm relative to stress
            >(witness similar developments in Germanic due to Werner's law with
            >rhotacised and non-rhotacised forms coinhabiting the same paradigm,
            >as in OIcel _kjósa_, participle _kørinn_ 'to choose'). Indeed the
            >very word _ósanwe_ could be expected to exhibit this alternation, of
            > course. However, since no examples are provided by Tolkien, it is
            > rather pointless to speculate whether the paradigm would be levelled
            > to follow the nominative or remain true to the historical phonology;
            > what we can do is only note that something like that could be
            > possible.

            My original objection was mainly to Roman's statement that in
            _Mondósaresse_ the _s_ is followed by the stressed vowel, which is
            patently false (if one agrees that it should be followed
            _immediately_ by the stressed vowel, just as in Verner's Law it is
            the stress on the _immediately_ _preceding_ vowel that prevented
            voiceless fricatives from becoming voiced ones [and, by extension,
            _s_ from becoming _r_ via _z_]). Thus the accent of the word should
            probably not be seen here as a reason why rhotacism did not occur.

            This is why I do not fully agree with your argument: yes, one might
            assume of _ósanwe_ that, for example, the locative could be
            _óranwesse_ ("true to historical phonology", and similar to your Old
            Icelandic example), while it might just as well be _ósanwesse_
            (analogical leveling).

            I just don't see how this is relevant for _Mondósaresse_ and its
            assumed nominative, since the stress is never in the pertinent
            syllable anyway. All one can say is that if the word's second element
            is indeed derived from SAR-, rhotacism "should" probably have
            occurred (in both the nominative and the locative), but for some
            reason it didn't. Of course it is also quite possible, as Roman says,
            that SAR- is not involved at all.

            David
          • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
              j. 'mach' wust wrote:

              > May I ask for the last sign of the second tengwar transcription of
              > 'Mondósaresse'? On the scan available at Christie's, I can make out
              > that there is the tengwa 'esse', but I cannot see whether there is an
              > acute above, and--if there is an acute--whether the acute is below the
              > upper stroke of esse or above.

              There is an 'acute' below the ascender of the esse.

              Suilad,

              Beregond
            • Harm J. Schelhaas
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 7, 2006
                On reflection, I think that I should relay the following thought to the list.

                As I had shown Beregond's [Anders Stenström's] initial post and Christie's
                lot description to a Smial meeting of the Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor,
                I've been relaying the discussion on "Tolkien in Oxford" here on Lambengolmor
                to an interested member of Unquendor. She is a professional linguist, and
                used to belong to Unquendor's working group on Elvish Linquistics, when that
                existed long before the time of VT, but dropped out of that field for a long time.

                (I myself have no solid background in linguistics, which is why I follow this
                group with keen interest, but usually do not take part myself.)

                On reading the rhotacism discussion, she at first thought people here were
                discussing whether the r in "_mondósaResse_" could have developed from an s.
                When I pointed out that the discussion was rather why the s ("_mondóSaresse_")
                hadn't turned into an r, her reply was that rhotacism of the first consonant in
                the second element of a compound is so unheard of, that she as a linguist had
                not realized that one would think of it at all, and that Tolkien apparently would
                have thought the same. Hence the retention of the s.

                -- Harm J. Schelhaas

                [Thanks for reporting this. I have no trouble believe it to be so, though I would
                caution that even if so, it surely depends on the age of the compound and to
                what degree it is perceived to be a compound by the speakers of the language.
                Not that either of those are necessarily at issue in this particular example, but
                something to bear in mind lest it be regarded as a rule in all cases. CFH]

                [And while I'm at it, another gentle reminder to all members to please sign your
                posts with your real names, and to refer to other contributors by real name. I don't
                mind the use of _epessi_ and other nicknames in email adresses, but I think it
                behooves us to use real names in posts and citations. Thanks. CFH]
              • Roman Rausch
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 8, 2006
                  --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Harm J. Schelhaas"
                  <harm.j.schelhaas@...> wrote:

                  >When I pointed out that the discussion was rather why the s
                  >("_mondóSaresse_") hadn't turned into an r, her reply was that
                  >rhotacism of the first consonant in the second element of a
                  >compound is so unheard of, that she as a linguist had not realized
                  >that one would think of it at all, and that Tolkien apparently
                  >would have thought the same. Hence the retention of the s.

                  >[Thanks for reporting this. I have no trouble believe it to be so,
                  >though I would caution that even if so, it surely depends on the age
                  >of the compound and to what degree it is perceived to be a compound
                  >by the speakers of the language. [...] CFH]

                  An example for an ancient compound with rhotacism carried out seems to
                  exist, namely: Q _Tindómerel_ *'daughter/child of twilight' (V:385)
                  with the primitive form given as _tindômiselde_, root SEL-D.

                  But in the context of _Mondósaresse_ this discussion is now pointless
                  anyway - the note from "Quendi & Eldar" Andreas Johansson pointed out
                  in message #950 should have the most relevance here, I think.

                  Roman R.