"Tolkien in Oxford"

  • Beregond. Anders Stenström
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
      Mellyn!

      In Christie's sale November 15 (catalogue named _Valuable Printed
      Books and Manuscripts_), lot 152 is an inscribed set of _The Lord of
      the Rings_, which has belonged to Leslie Megahey, the producer of the
      1968 BBC documentary "Tolkien in Oxford". The lot includes a letter
      from Tolkien (20 February 1968), with a leaf on which Tolkien gives
      tengwa versions of the caption "Tolkien in Oxford" and a translation
      of this, apparently to Quenya. The translation seems to me to read
      _arkastar mondósaresse_.

      The inscription in the book is a version of the "Elen síla" phrase,
      in which the word _lúmenna_ was left out and then added above the
      line, an expansive insertion mark showing where it should go.

      To inspect the material, search for "Tolkien" on Christie's
      website. Clicking on "Lot details" will bring up a larger image and
      the full description. Clicking on that image will bring up a third
      one, in more or less readable size.

      Meneg suilaid,

      Beregond

      [The URL of Christie's home page is:
      http://www.christies.com/home_page/home_page.asp
      -- PHW]
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
        Thanks to Anders for passing along notice of this very interesting
        letter!

        I can add one bit of information not mentioned in the exhibit
        catalogue, which is that the accompanying copy of _The Fellowship of
        the Ring_, inscribed by Tolkien (in _tengwar_) with "_elen síla
        lúmenna omentielvo_" (this was 1968, so the change from inclusive _-
        lmo_ to _-lvo_ had been made some years ago), appears to be the very
        copy that Tolkien is shown inscribing in the "Tolkin in Oxford"
        documentary itself. Although I've never seen that documentary, parts
        of it were excerpted for the 1996 documentary (filmed in 1992),
        "J.R.R.T.: A Film Portrait of J.R.R. Tolkien", and it includes part
        of this scene, showing Tolkien beginning the inscription, reaching
        _omentielvo_ and realizing he's left out _lúmenn'_, saying something
        like "Oh, I've made a mistake, haven't I?", and then inserting
        _lúmenna_ above the line.

        Regarding the letter with the two _tengwar_ inscriptions, A "Tolkien
        in Oxford" and B "_arcastar mondósaresse_" (<< _arkastar_):

        The note Tolkien wrote above the second inscription appears to read:

        "in Elvish language [? script]"

        The note in green at the bottom of the sheet appears to read:

        "[?Shown over] some explanations. A is a transliteration of English,
        [?that thus] happens not to be very decorative [?since lacking] the [?
        <a-_tehta_> = a]. B is a translation into Elvish (Quenya)"

        The final note, in black, reads:

        "NB the vowel signs i, e, a, o, u <corresponding _tehta_ above each
        vowel> are placed _after_ the consonant which they follow in speech."

        I was also going to provide some initial thoughts on the two new Quenya
        words, Roman Rausch's message came in as I was writing them, so I'll just
        add a few points to his comments.
      • Roman Rausch
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
          >_arcastar mondósaresse_

          Very interesting! I cannot resist analyzing this right away:

          _mondósaresse_ 'in Oxford'

          In Letter no.342 Tolkien gives "the elvish word for 'bull'" as _mundo_
          (apparently in Quenya), so that one can identify _mondo_ 'ox' here.
          An element 'ford, crossing' would be then expected to follow and
          indeed _-sar-_ can be related to THAR- 'across, beyond' (V:392), also
          _thar-_ 'athwart, across' in the _Silmarillion_ glossary with _Tharbad_
          < _thara-pata_ 'crossway'.

          [Note also numerous Q. words in _sar-_ having to do with stones or
          stoniness, as _sarne_ 'stony place' < SAR- (V:385, VT46:12). CFH]

          The long _-ó-_ seems to suggest that one should isolate _#ósar(e)_
          'ford', rather than just _#sar(e)_ with the prefix _ó-_ 'used in words
          describing the meeting, junction, or union of two things or persons,
          or of two groups thought of as units' (XI:367); and _-s-_ < _th_ would
          naturally resist rhotacism here.

          The ending _-sse_ is of course locative, while the vowel _-e-_ before
          it may belong to the preceding word (#_ósare-sse_) or just link the
          ending to it (#_ósar-e-sse_).

          _arcastar_ 'Tolkien'

          Tolkien's name is an anglicization of _Tollkiehn_ , German _tollkühn_
          'foolhardy, reckless, desperately brave' (compare Letter no.165),
          containing _toll_ 'insane, mad, wild' and _kühn_ 'brave'. A more or
          less literal translation into English Tolkien himself also made, was
          'Rashbold' (IX:151).

          I would analyze the Quenya word as _*arca-star_.

          The initial element _arca-_ looks similar to Q _arauka_ 'swift,
          rushing' (PE12:34) from RAVA or RAWA (PE12:79) with many derivatives
          for chase, running, hunting, fierceness; also _rauka_ = _arauka_ 'swift'.
          But of course a diphthong cannot be syncopated, so that one has to
          assume a different derivation from a changed or parallel root, e.g. <
          _*araka_ < (A)RAK- (?); cf. Q _narka_ 'to rend' from NÁRAK- 'tear, rend
          (tr. and intr.)' (V:374, VT45:37).

          The latter element _-star_ seems to be related to STAR- 'stiff'
          (V:388), with _st_ preserved medially. Although this stem yields words
          for grass only — Q _sara_ 'stiff, dry grass, bent', N _thâr_ 'stiff
          grass' and so on — there is a different root TÁRAG- 'tough, stiff'
          producing Q _tarya_ 'tough, stiff' and N. _tarias_ 'stiffness, toughness,
          difficulty', _tarlanc_'stiff-necked, obstinate' with reference to more
          abstract meanings. Hence, _arcastar_ would be something like
          *'rushing [and] stiff-necked'.

          [I like your analysis, though I think _-star_ as 'stiff' (without any
          reference to necks) is a fine rendering of the sense of 'hardy' in
          'foolhardy', both as physically 'hard, tough' and as metaphorically
          'unyielding, resolute'. CFH]

          Roman Rausch
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
            On Oct 27, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

            > The final note, in black, reads:
            >
            > "NB the vowel signs i, e, a, o, u <corresponding _tehta_ above each
            > vowel> are placed _after_ the consonant which they follow in speech."

            That should read "placed _above_ the consonant", of course; sorry for
            the typo.

            Carl
          • Richard Derdzinski
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
              --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Roman Rausch" <aranwe@...> wrote, regarding _arcastar_ 'Tolkien':

              > The latter element _-star_ seems to be related to STAR- 'stiff'
              > (V:388), with _st_ preserved medially.

              What about connecting _-(a)sta-r_ with Tulkas's title: _Astaldo_
              'The Valiant'?

              In my humble opinion the second element in the name _Mondósar(e)_
              'Oxford' is derived from the stem SAR-. Look at the tengwa _silmë_
              (and not _thúlë_). It can have the meaning 'hard' (as in the OED
              definition of HARD (n.): 'Hard or firm ground').

              Cheers,

              Richard Derdzinski
            • Roman Rausch
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 28, 2006
                --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Derdzinski"
                <galadhorn@...> wrote:

                >What about connecting _-(a)sta-r_ with Tulkas's title: _Astaldo_
                >'The Valiant'?

                I believe that _Astaldo_ should be rather related to STÁLAG- with
                primitive _stalga_ 'stalwart, steady, firm', N _thalion_ 'hero,
                dauntless man' (V:388) and so on. Thus: _*a-stal-do_ with _-do_ as
                e.g. in _Hildor_ 'followers' from KHILI 'follow' (XI:387).

                (Analyzing the name as _*a-sta-ldo_ one runs into several problems - a
                root *(A)SAT(A)- 'valiant' is needed, but not attested; just as the
                personal ending _-ldo_, if I do not overlook anything.)

                >In my humble opinion the second element in the name _Mondósar(e)_
                >'Oxford' is derived from the stem SAR-. Look at the tengwa _silmë_
                >(and not _thúlë_). It can have the meaning 'hard' (as in the OED
                >definition of HARD (n.): 'Hard or firm ground').

                In the "_Namárie_" calligraphy in _The Road Goes Ever On_ we encounter
                _sindanóriello_ and _hísie_, both written with a _silme_, although
                deriving from THIN- (V:392) and KHITH- 'mist, fog' (V:364).

                And if *_Mondósar(e)_ contains SAR-, then what about rhotacism? We
                know a rule that it did not occur if _s_ was followed by the stressed
                vowel (VT44:20), which is the case in _Mondósaresse_, but not in the
                deduced basic form *_Mondósar(e)_.

                In its declination stress would sometimes lie before and sometimes
                after _-s-_.

                The change _-sar-_ > _-rar-_ does not seem euphonious here and it may
                have been the (external) reason to avoid SAR-.

                Besides, the connection beween _sar-_ *'hard ground' and 'ford'
                appears somewhat vague to me, while THAR- is directly attested in
                another name of a ford.

                [The connection with SAR-, if there is one, would I think be to the
                various derivatives connoting or related to stones or stoniness, fords
                often being made of gravel or other agglomerated stones. Note
                S. _Sarn-athrad_ 'Stony-ford' (LR:172, RC:163). CFH]

                Roman Rausch
              • Florian Dombach
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 28, 2006
                  Just a minor correction:

                  For me the first word of the Elvish greeting (inscribed by Tolkien in
                  the copy of _The Fellowship of the Ring_ being auctioned) reads neither
                  "_elen_" nor "_elem_", as stated on the DTS site, but in fact "_elme_",
                  but I will leave it to the Quenya experts to judge if this may have been
                  Tolkien's intention or just a double mistake.

                  Regards,
                  Florian Dombach

                  [You are quite correct that the first word is actually written as
                  "_elme_". I have no doubt that this was a mistake on Tolkien's
                  part, not intentional. As I mentioned previously, Tolkien was
                  making this inscription for the cameras, and not at his leisure,
                  accounting for the missed and subsequently inserted "_lúmenna_"
                  and, no doubt, this misspelling as well. CFH]
                • Beregond. Anders Stenstr�
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 28, 2006
                    Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

                    > The note in green at the bottom of the sheet appears to read:
                    >
                    > "[?Shown over] some explanations. A is a transliteration of English,
                    > [?that thus] happens not to be very decorative [?since lacking] the [?
                    > <a-_tehta_> = a]. B is a translation into Elvish (Quenya)"

                    I read the first line and a half in this way:

                    "Here {or "Above"?} are some specimens. A is a transliteration
                    of English. But this happens "

                    [Aha! I think you've go it. CFH]

                    With some luck, the reproduction in the printed catalogue is
                    large enough to allow a more certain reading.

                    Suilad,

                    Beregond
                  • F.S.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 28, 2006
                      It has long appeared to me that as printed in _The
                      Peoples of Middle-earth_ (XII:295-320), the essay 'Of
                      Dwarves and Men' is strangely circular in disposition.
                      Christopher Tolkien notes that it 'takes up in the
                      middle of a sentence in a passage discussing knowledge
                      of the Common Speech' -- more specifically, discussing
                      the Common Speech as a means for interspecial
                      communication -- and the text ends (without a full
                      stop) in the middle of a discussion of the Common
                      Speech; more specifically, with a sentence on the
                      Common Speech as a means for interspecial
                      communication.

                      Furthermore, Christopher Tolkien points to a break in
                      the essay where, after three and a half pages of
                      manuscript, the typescript draft begins (XII:320 n.
                      9). Naturally one wonders whether the manuscript pages
                      were, in fact, originally the last pages of a draft
                      version of the essay, moved to the beginning at some
                      later time. (There could be a simple explanation to
                      why this was done. Having coverered the topics of the
                      Atani and their languages, the Drúedain, the
                      Halflings, Faramir's 'Middle Men', and the lingua
                      franca, Tolkien may have found himself returning to
                      the Dwarves: 'the Dwarves however were a special
                      case'. If this was so, then he may have decided that
                      the sections on the Dwarves were better kept together
                      and so moved the last pages. This would also explain
                      why no subtitle 'I' appears [cf. XII:324 n. 34], if
                      the essay having been so arranged never was retyped.)

                      However, when queried about the original documents
                      Christopher Tolkien kindly responded that the first
                      typescript words (XII:298 line 2, 'Only occasionally
                      ...') follow in the same line of text, so to speak, as
                      the last manuscript words 'in the Fëanorian Script' in
                      such a way as to show very clearly that the author
                      simply laid down his pen at that point and turned to
                      his typewriter.

                      Nevertheless, I wonder whether more could be said on
                      the matter. If the three and a half manuscript pages
                      -- except, perhaps, for the last (few) sentence(s)? --
                      originally comprised the end of the text, then the
                      essay would have opened with a discussion of the use
                      of runes in the Book of Mazarbul and on Balin's Tomb
                      -- and this would agree with Tolkien's note on the
                      covering page that the essay arose 'from consideration
                      of the Book of Mazarbul' (XII:295).

                      In my opinion the typescript part on Dwarven runes
                      (XII:298-301), where several phrases were later struck
                      out and corrected, definitely has the appearance of a
                      rough draft, while the section that follows
                      ('Relations of the Longbeard Dwarves and Men') seems
                      more finished. One deleted note from the first part
                      was taken up almost verbatim in the latter (see
                      XII:300 n. 21 and cf. the last paragraph on XII:302).
                      Perhaps the essay was pieced together of several
                      separate texts, some of them rewritten from (partly)
                      lost drafts, all written more or less at the same
                      time?

                      There is another curious fact about the essay as
                      printed. After the section on the relations of the
                      Longbeards and Men, ending with a paragraph on what
                      came to pass in the Second Age (XII:304-5), there
                      follows a paragraph on change in the language of the
                      Eldar in Middle-earth (as opposed to that of the Eldar
                      in Valinor), as seen by Elvish loremasters. This
                      paragraph seems to have virtually nothing to do with
                      what precedes it, and it is followed by a clear break
                      (where later the subtitle 'The Atani and their
                      Languages' was pencilled in). Could it be that the
                      part on the Atani and their languages was once
                      preceded by a text on the Elves and their languages,
                      i.e. on Quenya and Sindarin, and that the stray
                      paragraph is a remnant of this text? In any case I
                      think it possible that Tolkien bundled together a text
                      that he had written on the Atani with one or more
                      texts on the Longbeard Dwarves to form an essay 'Of
                      Dwarves and Men', but perhaps we will never know
                      exactly which the constituent parts originally were.

                      I note with interest though that the upcoming _J.R.R.
                      Tolkien Companion and Guide_ by Hammond & Scull
                      contains a section entitled 'Of Dwarves and Men'
                      (http://bcn.net/~whammond/Guide topic list.doc).
                      Perhaps we will find some answers there?

                      /Fredrik Ström
                    • Jerome Colburn
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 1, 2006
                        At 09:10 AM 10/27/06, Roman Rausch wrote:

                        >_arcastar_ 'Tolkien'
                        >
                        >Tolkien's name is an anglicization of _Tollkiehn_ , German _tollkühn_
                        >'foolhardy, reckless, desperately brave' (compare Letter no.165),
                        >containing _toll_ 'insane, mad, wild' and _kühn_ 'brave'. A more or
                        >less literal translation into English Tolkien himself also made, was
                        >'Rashbold' (IX:151).
                        >
                        >I would analyze the Quenya word as _*arca-star_.

                        The wild thought has occurred to me to read it as *_ar-cas+ta-r_: an agent
                        noun in _-r_ to a verb *_casta-_ (in turn formed by adding causative _-ta_
                        to the root KAS- "head") with modifying prefix _ar-_.

                        [Wild it may be, but I had a similar thought. Consider the term "headstrong",
                        partly synonymous with "foolhardy", though milder. CFH]

                        In _Telcontar_ we have an instance of a surname formed by the _-r_ suffix
                        added to a verb stem formed with the _-ta_ suffix added to a root meaning a
                        body part!

                        The meaning would seem to be someone who puts his head outside or beside
                        (the place where it should be), exposing it to risk.

                        The question of the meaning of the name _Castamir_ also arises.

                        Jerome Colburn
                        jcolburn@...
                        blog: http://www.uniquesupport.net/Lists/Jerome%20Colburn/View%20Items.htm
                      • Andreas Johansson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 1, 2006
                          Quoting Roman Rausch <aranwe@...>:

                          > And if *_Mondósar(e)_ contains SAR-, then what about rhotacism? We
                          > know a rule that it did not occur if _s_ was followed by the stressed
                          > vowel (VT44:20), which is the case in _Mondósaresse_, but not in the
                          > deduced basic form *_Mondósar(e)_.
                          >
                          > In its declination stress would sometimes lie before and sometimes
                          > after _-s-_.
                          >
                          > The change _-sar-_ > _-rar-_ does not seem euphonious here and it may
                          > have been the (external) reason to avoid SAR-.

                          In Note 24 to Quendi and Eldar, we learn that "[m]edial z < s had became r in
                          the Ñoldorin dialect of Q except when an adjacent syllable, or (as here) the
                          same syllable, already contained an r", the context being why Dwarvish _Khazâd_
                          was adapted to Quenya as _Kasar_ rather than **_Karar_. Thus from a phonological
                          point of view, there need not be any objection to assuming the presence of SAR.

                          Andreas
                        • hisilome
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 4, 2006
                            --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Roman Rausch" <aranwe@...> wrote:

                            > And if *_Mondósar(e)_ contains SAR-, then what about rhotacism? We
                            > know a rule that it did not occur if _s_ was followed by the stressed
                            > vowel (VT44:20), which is the case in _Mondósaresse_, but not in the
                            > deduced basic form *_Mondósar(e)_.

                            Hm. I thought the stress in _Mondósaresse_ would lie on the _e_
                            preceding the double consonant _ss_ (according to the pronunciation
                            rules as for example given in the Appendices of _LotR_, although the
                            example given there involves double _n_)?

                            Or is the passage in VT44:20 to be interpreted to say that rhotacism
                            did not occur when _s_ was followed by a stressed vowel, _regardless in
                            which syllable_ (as long as it comes after the _s_)? From the example
                            given, though, I get the impression that it has to follow the _s_
                            _immediately_ for the rule (of no change from _s_ to _r_) to apply:
                            _ósAnwe_.

                            [That's my impression as well. CFH]

                            David
                          • Pavel Iosad
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006

                              > Hm. I thought the stress in _Mondósaresse_ would lie on the _e_
                              > preceding the double consonant _ss_ (according to the
                              > pronunciation rules as for example given in the Appendices of
                              >_LotR_, although the example given there involves double _n_)?

                              This is the realm of guesswork: the rule, as given, does imply that we
                              could have _s_/_r_ alternations in the paradigm relative to stress
                              (witness similar developments in Germanic due to Werner's law with
                              rhotacised and non-rhotacised forms coinhabiting the same paradigm, as
                              in OIcel _kjósa_, participle _kørinn_ 'to choose'). Indeed the very
                              word _ósanwe_ could be expected to exhibit this alternation, of
                              course. However, since no examples are provided by Tolkien, it is
                              rather pointless to speculate whether the paradigm would be levelled
                              to follow the nominative or remain true to the historical phonology;
                              what we can do is only note that something like that could be
                              possible.

                              --Pavel
                            • Beregond. Anders Stenström
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
                                I wrote:

                                > With some luck, the reproduction in the printed catalogue is
                                > large enough to allow a more certain reading.

                                The catalogue has arrived, and everything is legible. The
                                words above the second line of tengwar are:

                                "In Elvish language
                                & script"

                                The note in green reads:

                                "Here are some specimens. A is a transliteration
                                of English. But this happens not to be very decorative
                                and lacks the XX <a-tehta> = a. B is a translation
                                into Elvish (Quenya)"

                                XX is a deleted "de", apparently the start of a
                                repetitious "decorative". The a-tehta is underlined.

                                (For the final note, in black, see Carl's reading
                                earlier in this thread.)

                                Suilad,

                                Beregond, Anders Stenstr�m
                              • j_mach_wust
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
                                  Beregond/Anders Stenström wrote:
                                  > The catalogue has arrived, and everything is legible.

                                  May I ask for the last sign of the second tengwar transcription of
                                  'Mondósaresse'? On the scan available at Christie's, I can make out
                                  that there is the tengwa 'esse', but I cannot see whether there is an
                                  acute above, and--if there is an acute--whether the acute is below the
                                  upper stroke of esse or above.

                                  grüess
                                  j. 'mach' wust
                                • hisilome
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
                                    --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Pavel Iosad" <edricson@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > Hm. I thought the stress in _Mondósaresse_ would lie on the _e_
                                    > > preceding the double consonant _ss_ (according to the
                                    > > pronunciation rules as for example given in the Appendices of
                                    > >_LotR_, although the example given there involves double _n_)?
                                    >
                                    >This is the realm of guesswork: the rule, as given, does imply that
                                    >we could have _s_/_r_ alternations in the paradigm relative to stress
                                    >(witness similar developments in Germanic due to Werner's law with
                                    >rhotacised and non-rhotacised forms coinhabiting the same paradigm,
                                    >as in OIcel _kjósa_, participle _kørinn_ 'to choose'). Indeed the
                                    >very word _ósanwe_ could be expected to exhibit this alternation, of
                                    > course. However, since no examples are provided by Tolkien, it is
                                    > rather pointless to speculate whether the paradigm would be levelled
                                    > to follow the nominative or remain true to the historical phonology;
                                    > what we can do is only note that something like that could be
                                    > possible.

                                    My original objection was mainly to Roman's statement that in
                                    _Mondósaresse_ the _s_ is followed by the stressed vowel, which is
                                    patently false (if one agrees that it should be followed
                                    _immediately_ by the stressed vowel, just as in Verner's Law it is
                                    the stress on the _immediately_ _preceding_ vowel that prevented
                                    voiceless fricatives from becoming voiced ones [and, by extension,
                                    _s_ from becoming _r_ via _z_]). Thus the accent of the word should
                                    probably not be seen here as a reason why rhotacism did not occur.

                                    This is why I do not fully agree with your argument: yes, one might
                                    assume of _ósanwe_ that, for example, the locative could be
                                    _óranwesse_ ("true to historical phonology", and similar to your Old
                                    Icelandic example), while it might just as well be _ósanwesse_
                                    (analogical leveling).

                                    I just don't see how this is relevant for _Mondósaresse_ and its
                                    assumed nominative, since the stress is never in the pertinent
                                    syllable anyway. All one can say is that if the word's second element
                                    is indeed derived from SAR-, rhotacism "should" probably have
                                    occurred (in both the nominative and the locative), but for some
                                    reason it didn't. Of course it is also quite possible, as Roman says,
                                    that SAR- is not involved at all.

                                    David
                                  • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 6, 2006
                                      j. 'mach' wust wrote:

                                      > May I ask for the last sign of the second tengwar transcription of
                                      > 'Mondósaresse'? On the scan available at Christie's, I can make out
                                      > that there is the tengwa 'esse', but I cannot see whether there is an
                                      > acute above, and--if there is an acute--whether the acute is below the
                                      > upper stroke of esse or above.

                                      There is an 'acute' below the ascender of the esse.

                                      Suilad,

                                      Beregond
                                    • Harm J. Schelhaas
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 7, 2006
                                        On reflection, I think that I should relay the following thought to the list.

                                        As I had shown Beregond's [Anders Stenström's] initial post and Christie's
                                        lot description to a Smial meeting of the Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor,
                                        I've been relaying the discussion on "Tolkien in Oxford" here on Lambengolmor
                                        to an interested member of Unquendor. She is a professional linguist, and
                                        used to belong to Unquendor's working group on Elvish Linquistics, when that
                                        existed long before the time of VT, but dropped out of that field for a long time.

                                        (I myself have no solid background in linguistics, which is why I follow this
                                        group with keen interest, but usually do not take part myself.)

                                        On reading the rhotacism discussion, she at first thought people here were
                                        discussing whether the r in "_mondósaResse_" could have developed from an s.
                                        When I pointed out that the discussion was rather why the s ("_mondóSaresse_")
                                        hadn't turned into an r, her reply was that rhotacism of the first consonant in
                                        the second element of a compound is so unheard of, that she as a linguist had
                                        not realized that one would think of it at all, and that Tolkien apparently would
                                        have thought the same. Hence the retention of the s.

                                        -- Harm J. Schelhaas

                                        [Thanks for reporting this. I have no trouble believe it to be so, though I would
                                        caution that even if so, it surely depends on the age of the compound and to
                                        what degree it is perceived to be a compound by the speakers of the language.
                                        Not that either of those are necessarily at issue in this particular example, but
                                        something to bear in mind lest it be regarded as a rule in all cases. CFH]

                                        [And while I'm at it, another gentle reminder to all members to please sign your
                                        posts with your real names, and to refer to other contributors by real name. I don't
                                        mind the use of _epessi_ and other nicknames in email adresses, but I think it
                                        behooves us to use real names in posts and citations. Thanks. CFH]
                                      • Roman Rausch
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 8, 2006
                                          --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Harm J. Schelhaas"
                                          <harm.j.schelhaas@...> wrote:

                                          >When I pointed out that the discussion was rather why the s
                                          >("_mondóSaresse_") hadn't turned into an r, her reply was that
                                          >rhotacism of the first consonant in the second element of a
                                          >compound is so unheard of, that she as a linguist had not realized
                                          >that one would think of it at all, and that Tolkien apparently
                                          >would have thought the same. Hence the retention of the s.

                                          >[Thanks for reporting this. I have no trouble believe it to be so,
                                          >though I would caution that even if so, it surely depends on the age
                                          >of the compound and to what degree it is perceived to be a compound
                                          >by the speakers of the language. [...] CFH]

                                          An example for an ancient compound with rhotacism carried out seems to
                                          exist, namely: Q _Tindómerel_ *'daughter/child of twilight' (V:385)
                                          with the primitive form given as _tindômiselde_, root SEL-D.

                                          But in the context of _Mondósaresse_ this discussion is now pointless
                                          anyway - the note from "Quendi & Eldar" Andreas Johansson pointed out
                                          in message #950 should have the most relevance here, I think.

                                          Roman R.