The use of _mai_

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2006
      Hello all!

      In his _Early Quenya Grammar_, Tolkien presents the use of the
      conjunction _mai_ 'if'. Unfortunately he does not translate one of the
      example sentences (EQG:59):

      _Mai ni-túlie, tu-tútiel_.

      I would translate it in English as : "If I had come, they would have
      come". But I am not a native English speaker. Any comment ?

      [Sounds right to me. CFH]

      I take this opportunity to ask "_mai_" a _Vinyar Tengwar_ or a _Parma_
      is scheduled before the end of this year ? ;-)

      [Actually, it's not clear to me that _mai_ can be used in the sense of
      "whether" (which is proper to your question) as English "if" (now) can.

      I can't speak for Chris Gilson, editor or _Parma_, but my intent is
      certainly to try to get _VT_ 49 out by the end of the year, if I
      can wrap up some other writing commitments in time to do so. CFH]

      Namárie,

      E. Kloczko