Re: [Lambengolmor] Call for input: _Vinyar Tengwar_ errata

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2002
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote on 4 June 2002:

      >There is something in particular that I would like to solicit input on from
      >any readers of _VT_ that are on this list: namely, errata. If you've noticed
      >typos of any sort (spelling, punctuation, grammar, citation error,
      >misquotation, etc.) in any issue of _VT_ (well, 10 and up, since issues
      >earlier than that can only be "reprinted" by photocopying), I want to know
      >about them so that I can correct them in future reprintings.

      If future reprintings are going to be revised, I suggest that this
      fact be stated clearly on the reprints, otherwise confusion will most
      definitely ensue when differing citations from revised and unrevised
      versions start showing up.

      [That's a good suggestion, and one I'll give some thought to how best to
      indicate the fact. Some revisions have, of course, already been silently
      incorporated in various reprintings. Reprintings, by the way, are usually
      able to be distinguished from original printings by the fact that their
      covers are plain paper (i.e., the same paper as the conents); whereas
      original printings used a heavier, textured papers for the cover (only).
      Carl]

      I also suggest that, in addition to posting a complete list of errata
      on the _VT_ website, you should also periodically publish lists of
      newly observed errata in _VT_ itself, for the benefit of those few
      subscribers who do not (or choose not to) have Internet access.

      [Another good suggestion. The problem there is going to be a usual lack of
      space in the printed issues. Carl]

      It would also be a good idea to announce which issues are being
      reissued with a revised text, for the benefit of the die-hard
      completists who would want to have both the old and new versions.

      [At this point, I doubt that I could produce such a list. In any event,
      none of the revisions made to date have been substantive, being limited
      to typos and the like. Corrections of argument or linguistic detail have
      always been made in letters or articles in subsequent issues. Carl]

      This would be an ideal place to note that the second printing of
      _Parma Eldalmaberon_ #11 incorporated a few corrections, and though
      it is clearly labelled as a "second impression", I don't recall that
      the fact that it is a *corrected* edition was announced anywhere. To
      the best of my knowledge, three errors were corrected in the second
      impression:

      p. 23, col. 2, l. 2: "mutatation" > "mutation";
      p. 53, col. 1, l. 13: "_lattta_" > "_latta_";
      back cover: "haprwire" > "harpwire".

      The second impression also included a change in the phone and fax
      information on the back cover, as well as (of course) new printing
      information on the inside of the back cover.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_
    • fr3dr1k_s
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
        Arden,

        In VT44, p. 37 n. 3 you write:

        "Another Quenya preposition with a similar form and meaning is
        _epe_ 'after' (VT42:32), seen also in _epesse_ 'after-name'
        (UT:266, XII:339)."

        And on the next page Bill Welden corrects his VT42 article:
        "_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."

        Are both meanings, 'before' and 'after', attested for _epe_ in
        Tolkien's papers?

        /Fredrik

        [Yes. Arden's cross-reference to _VT_ 42 was an editorial oversight, due
        to his article being written and prepared for publication before Bill's
        letter was submitted. The cross-reference to UT and XII, of course, remain
        valid. Carl]
      • Fredrik
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
          >"_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."

          I see. May I ask, then, what was Bill's motivation to correct/change the
          gloss of _epe_?

          (Note that my question concerns the attested meaning(s) of the word _epe_,
          regardless of what may be guessed from the word _epessi_.)

          /Fredrik

          [Short answer: Bill discovered that he'd given the wrong translation for
          _epe_ from the source document in question. Carl]
        • williamwelden
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
            --- In lambengolmor@y..., Fredrik <gwaihir@s...> wrote:

            > >"_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."
            >
            > I see. May I ask, then, what was Bill's motivation to correct/change the
            > gloss of _epe_?

            In the document I cited, _epe_ is clearly glossed 'before'. As a
            novice to this sort of work, I glossed the word based on my
            (incorrect) confidence that it meant 'after', without bothering to
            check the reference. I have learned my lesson, and spent quite a few
            hours looking up the references for the work I did in the latest VT.

            --Bill