Re: Analysis of _Neleg Thilim_ and _Neleglos_

  • Roman Rausch
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2006
      In Lambengolmor message 924
      (<http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lambengolmor/message/924>),
      Philipp Marquart wrote of N. _Thilim_ that:

      >the ending _-im_ is very peculiar, it may be connected with _lim,
      >rim_ "many"(V:369, as in _orodrim_ (ÔR-OT)) but that is very
      >unlikely (could it be a comparative ending, intensifying _Thil_?).
      >We may rather assume an alternative adjectival ending in _-im_.

      Perhaps _-im_ is best explainable as being the cognate of Quenya
      _-(i)ma_ or _-(i)me_. Compare the stem SIL- (variant of THIL-; V:385)
      with derivatives _silimâ_ 'silver, shining white (adj.)' > Q. _silma_,
      N. _*silef_. The latter form is theoretical and does not occur in Noldorin;
      generally Sindarin and Noldorin do not show _-ef_, see "Quendi & Eldar":

      "_Fíreb_ as compared with _Fírima_ shows the use of a different suffix,
      [...] since the S equivalent of Q _-ima_ (*_-ef_) was not current." (XI:387)

      I guess that Tolkien disliked the sound of _-ef_ and avoided it
      (although it is a straightfoward etymological consequence). In the
      given example he may have rejected the lenition of _m_, whatever
      internal explanation may have stood behind this (lacking lenition of
      _m_ is known in the northern dialect of Sindarin, e.g. in the name
      _Celegorm_).

      There is also no a-affection, so I suppose _thilim_ derives from
      _*thilimê_ 'silvery light' (cf. _silimê_ 'light of Silpion' (V:385))
      and is put into genitive position - _Neleg Thilim_ *'a tooth of
      silvery/gleaming light'. On the other hand forms without a-affection
      sometimes occur as well, e.g. _celebrin_ (V:367), later changed to
      _celebren_. This way, _thilim_ would be an adjective from _*thilimâ_,
      a variant of _silimâ_.

      Apparently Tolkien made up another solution later - we find _silivren_
      in _The Lord of the Rings_, where a second ending _-ren_ seems to be
      attached.

      Roman Rausch