OT: _In memoriam_ Dan Timmons

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2006
      Please excuse this off-topic message, but I would like list members
      to consider assisting in a cause to help the bereaved family of the
      late Tolkien documentarian and scholar, Dan Timmons, who died in Dec.
      of last year of ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's Disease), tragically young and
      leaving behind his wife and infant child.

      I met Dan only a couple times myself, at Mythcons, but even in such
      brief encounters he could not fail to impress me and all his fellow
      Tolkienists with his enthusiasm, knowledge, wit, and warmth. Dan is
      perhaps best known for his documentary film, "The Legacy of The Lord
      of the Rings", which features interviews and commentaries with and by
      numerous prominent Tolkien scholars and fans, and about which you can
      read more, and view a brief trailer for, at:

      <http://scriptsandscribes.com/projTV.htm>

      He is also known for the volume of essays he edited (with George
      Clark) and contributed to, _J.R.R. Tolkien and His Literary
      Resonances: Views of Middle-earth_ (Greenwood Press, 2000), which was
      nominated for the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award, and a review of which
      can be read at:

      <http://www.mythsoc.org/litresrev.html>

      A memorial page has been set up and a PayPal link provided by which
      donations can be made to assist Dan's family:

      <http://timmonslegacy.livejournal.com/>

      --Carl