Re: [Lambengolmor] Analysis of _Eccuilë_ and _Eremar_

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
      On 03.07.2006, at 15:37, Philipp Marquart wrote:

      > While in Noldorin the medial combination
      > –TK- became a voiceless velar –CH-, Quenya would have turned –TK- into
      > double consonant –KK-. We meet this same phenomenon also c. 1940
      > in the Qenya verb form *_ekkoita-_ "to awaken" (VT14:17;
      > _erenekkoitanie_ "that he might awake them"), being derived from
      > _et-_+ KOYO (QL:48). But also in our later sources we can find that
      > kind of mutation of consonants as in _Et-pele_ > _Eppele_ (VIII:137).

      _Ekkaia_ 'the Outer Ocean, the Encircling Sea' seems to show the same
      development. The Sindarin voiceless spirants also presuppose -TK > KK
      and -TP > PP. This, however, stands in contrast to Q. _ehtele_ and
      Noldorin _eithel_ 'spring, issue of water' both < *_et-kelê_ (Etym.
      sub voc. KEL-).

      David Kiltz

      [In the "Qenya Phonology", a similar variation in the Qenya developments
      of original TK is explained as follows: "TK has given CC older, and CT
      (transposition newer)" (PE12:22). -- PHW]
    • Jerome Colburn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2006
        At 08:37 AM 7/3/06, Philipp Marquart wrote:

        >Another possibility for explaining _Eccuilë_ would be an intensive
        >prefix: VT45:11 mentions the intensive prefix _e-_ as in _Ender_, the
        >surname of Tulkas. Yet, this is said to be only applied when the
        >base vowel is also _e_. How would that fit together with _Eccuilë_?
        >Due to the fact that the base vowel of _cuilë_ would be _u_ (s. a.
        >above) we would rather think of something like **_uccuilë_.
        >Fortunately we have another example, which agrees that this is not
        >necessarily the case, in _ekkaira_ *"most far away" (KHAYA-, V:364).
        >In VT45:21 it is supposed that this may be an "?int[ensive]" form of
        >_haira_ "remote, far".

        ...although that too looks like a compound in *_et-_ with intensive meaning
        (*"out far away" > "farthest away").

        The commonly encountered formation that preposes the base vowel (_Aman,
        Anár, Isil, Ender, Indis_, etc.) does not double the first consonant of the
        root.

        + Airesseo Kolvorno +
        + Jerome Colburn +
        + jcolburn@... +
        "Do you not be happy with me as the translator of the books of you?" -- New
        Yorker cartoon