_hlonite_

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      I have a question concerning the form _hlonite_:

      In VT48:29, Patrick Wynne cites the form _hlonite_ "phonetic" from
      a Tolkien manuscript. He notes that this provides "the singular of
      _hloníti_", a plural adjective cited in XI:394-5.

      Would not the singular of _hloníti_ simply be *_hloníte_ with
      a long vowel in the singular form as well? Obviously _hlonite_
      and *_hloníte_ are close variants of the same word, as Pat
      observes. But is there any reason to believe that the _i_
      in the penultimate would be lengthened in the plural form
      of the adjective?

      In some attested examples, lengthening of vowels in inflected
      forms is indeed observed in the corpus. For instance, the
      Etymologies s.v. PHUY gives _huine_ as the word for "deep
      shadow", but there we also learn that its possessive-adjectival
      form is _huinéva_ rather than **_huineva_ (as in the name
      _Taure Huinéva_).

      However, the adjective _hlonite_ "phonetic" could be expected
      to form its plural in _-i_, with exactly the same number of
      syllables and the same distribution of long and short vowels.
      Do we, then, have any reason to believe that the vowel in
      the penultimate syllable would be lengthened in the plural?