List of the newly revealed words from _LR: A Reader's Companion_

  • Galadhorn Elvellon
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      On the Elendili (Polish-language) mailing list, in the thread titled
      "Dictionary of the newly revealed words" <http://elendili.pl/viewtopic.php?p=0974#30974>, I am trying to list all the newly revealed words (at the
      moment only Sindarin entries, more to come since I am still reading the
      book) from Hammond and Scull's _The Lord of the Rings. A Reader's
      Companion_ (RC).

      Recently I have found new adjective _paran_ 'smooth, shaven (often
      applied to hills ?without trees)', cf. _Dol Baran_ *'Shaven (i.e. deprived
      of trees) Hill' (RC:433).

      The book also provides us with Tolkien's explanation of the word
      _huorn_ (RC:425). It contains the stem KHUG- 'bark, bay' (V:365) (!)

      The book is really a wonderful source of the new linguistic information!

      Namárië!

      -- Ryszard

      [Note Patrick Wynne's suggestion that KHUG- 'bark, bay' might be the
      basis of _Huorn_ in Lambengolmor message 470, back in 2003, and
      the ensuing discussion of the possible implications:

      We'd certainly appreciate the occasional report of your findings here
      as well (specifically, those not already reported by your or others on
      this list). -- CFH]
    • Patrick H. Wynne
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Galadhorn Elvellon"
        <galadhorn@t...> wrote:

        > Recently I have found new adjective _paran_ 'smooth, shaven (often
        > applied to hills ?without trees)', cf. _Dol Baran_ *'Shaven (i.e.
        > deprived of trees) Hill' (RC:433).

        Just to clarify for the benefit of list members who do not yet have
        a copy of RC: Tolkien's index gives "_Paran_ smooth, shaven (often
        applied to hills ?without trees), cf. _Dol Baran_." The subsequent
        gloss *'Shaven (i.e. deprived of trees) Hill' is Ryszard's rendition.
        I would propose *'Smooth (i.e. treeless) Hill' as well. There is no
        reason to necessarily assume that Dol Baran was "deprived of trees";
        it may have always been treeless. But there is of course the
        implication of 'shaven' as a purely visual metaphor: a treeless
        hilltop resembles a tonsured head. This is an image that clearly
        appealed to Tolkien; cp. the "green hill-top, treeless, rising like a
        bald head out of the encircling wood" encountered by the Hobbits
        in the Old Forest, a hill around which the forest stood "like thick
        hair that ended sharply in a circle round a shaven crown" (LR:113).

        > The book also provides us with Tolkien's explanation of the word
        > _huorn_ (RC:425). It contains the stem KHUG- 'bark, bay' (V:365) (!)

        Actually, Ryszard's wording here is misleading -- the RC only says
        that the first element in _Huorn_ "could be" KHUG-; this is Hammond
        and Scull's statement, not Tolkien's. They add that this derivation
        "appears to be supported" by unpublished etymological notes; again,
        note that Hammond and Scull's cautious wording indicates that we are
        dealing here with a still-uncertain _possibility_, not any flat and
        definitive statement that _huorn_ contains KHUG- 'bark, bay'. In
        our rush of enthusiasm for this new material in the RC, we must
        be careful not to distort the facts in reporting them!

        Finally, if I may don my moderatorial hat -- I would also request,
        since this list is devoted to scholarly rather than fannish discussion,
        that contributors please sign their posts with their real names, in
        addition to whatever Elvish appellations they choose to go by. It
        would be greatly appreciated!

        [I second that, and would further ask that we not use the Elvish
        names at all -- this is a scholarly, not fannish, list, and we should
        comport ourselves accordingly. -- CFH]

        -- Patrick H. Wynne
      • Atwe
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          --- Galadhorn Elvellon <galadhorn@...> wrote:

          > On the Elendili (Polish-language) mailing list, in
          > the thread titled
          > "Dictionary of the newly revealed words"
          > <http://elendili.pl/viewtopic.php?p=0974#30974>, I
          > am trying to list all the newly revealed words (at
          > the
          > moment only Sindarin entries, more to come since I
          > am still reading the
          > book) from Hammond and Scull's _The Lord of the
          > Rings. A Reader's
          > Companion_ (RC).

          Greetings,

          the correct link seems to be

          http://elendili.pl/viewtopic.php?t=1298.

          [How odd! I tried the link before I passed the message on to the list, and it
          worked fine! Somehow, a "3" got dropped after "?p=" in the link during
          the review process. Thanks for correcting this! -- CFH]

          Regards,

          Thomas Ferencz

          -- love is the shadow that ripens the wine --

          Let's discuss Eldarin languages - http://aglardh.middangeard.hu

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Richard Derdzinski
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
            Thomas Ferencz wrote:

            > the correct link seems to be
            >
            > http://elendili.pl/viewtopic.php?t=1298.

            In fact the link is: <http://elendili.pl/viewtopic.php?t=1300>. Thomas
            showed the link to the Polish version of this topic, but we have also
            its English version in the "Westron Speakers' Corner". I agree with
            Patrick Wynne's corrections of my interpretations of _Dol Baran_ and
            _huorn_. Thank you :-)