Re: [Lambengolmor] Hammond and Scull, _LotR: A Reader's Companion_

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
      On 28.11.2005, at 14:50, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      > List members will want to obtain and study this book carefully.

      For the convenience of readers living in Germany, the book is
      available via Amazon/Deutschland as well:

      http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/000720907X/qid=33205520/
      sr==1-1/ref==sr_1_8_1/302-4101217-9351266

      Currently, there's just one copy left. Resupplies expected soon ("in
      Kürze").

      David Kiltz

      P.S. Amazon/France lists the book as " bientôt disponible"
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
        Carl wrote:

        > I should also note that this book is keyed to the new "50th
        > Anniversary" ed. of _LotR_, newly available in paperback featuring a
        > greatly expanded new index, also compiled by Hammond and Scull,

        Houghton Mifflin have issued this also in one-volume hardcover, and
        HarperCollins have it in three volumes, hardcover and paperback. The
        2005 printing has some further corrections as well as the new index.

        Christina and I were in a Barnes & Noble the other day, looking at the
        Tolkien shelves, when one of the sales clerks came over, talking to
        someone on the phone who wanted a particular edition of _The Lord of
        the Rings_. The caller couldn't adequately describe what he wanted, and
        the poor clerk didn't know her Tolkien well enough to figure it out. In
        the end, despite our attempt to help, both caller and clerk gave it up.
        Part of the problem was that the shop had _ten different editions_ of
        LR on sale: red "Collector's Edition"; one-volume Alan Lee-illustrated;
        three-volume Alan Lee-illustrated hardcover; old three-volume trade
        paperback; old one-volume trade paperback; new three-volume trade
        paperback; Ballantine paperbacks in a box with _The Hobbit_; the deluxe
        50th anniversary edition from last year; and the new one-volume
        hardcover and paperback editions. Caveat emptor!

        Wayne