Hammond and Scull, _LotR: A Reader's Companion_

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
      As has already been demonstrated, this new work, apart from being an
      indispensable new resource for Tolkien scholars in general and
      scholars of _LotR_, is also a small treasure-trove of new information
      regarding the linguistic element in _LotR_, the nomenclature in
      particular. In addition to containing a re-edited version of Tolkien's own
      notes on "Nomenclature in _The Lord of the Rings_" (previously published
      as "Guide to Names" in _The Tolkien Compass_, which is now thus
      superseded), the _RC_ also makes use of Tolkien's own unpublished index
      of names in _LotR_ (which was the source for many of the glosses given by
      Christopher Tolkien in the indices to _The Silmarillion_ and _Unfinished Tales_).
      List members will want to obtain and study this book carefully. It is available
      now in both hardcover and paperback from the U.K.:

      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/000720308X/elvishlinguist06>

      It will be available in hardcover in the U.S. in late Dec.:

      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618642676/elvishlinguistic>

      I should also note that this book is keyed to the new "50th
      Anniversary" ed. of _LotR_, newly available in paperback featuring a
      greatly expanded new index, also compiled by Hammond and Scull, which
      I can attest is also a must-have for the student of the languages.
      Again, all list members, and in particular those who expect to post
      to the list, are encouraged to obtain a copy of this new edition. It
      will henceforth be the standard edition for all page citations on
      this list and on _Tengwestië_:

      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618640150/elvishlinguistic>

      (For historical purposes, note that all references to _LotR_ (LR) in posts to this
      list and in articles published on _Tengwestië_ prior to today have been to:
      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395974682/elvishlinguistic>)

      Finally, I would like to note the existence of a web site maintained
      by Wayne and Christina for addenda and corrigenda to the RC and for
      the new 50th Anniv. Ed. _LotR_, _inter alia_:

      <http://bcn.net/~whammond/addenda.html>
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
        On 28.11.2005, at 14:50, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        > List members will want to obtain and study this book carefully.

        For the convenience of readers living in Germany, the book is
        available via Amazon/Deutschland as well:

        http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/000720907X/qid=33205520/
        sr==1-1/ref==sr_1_8_1/302-4101217-9351266

        Currently, there's just one copy left. Resupplies expected soon ("in
        Kürze").

        David Kiltz

        P.S. Amazon/France lists the book as " bientôt disponible"
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
          Carl wrote:

          > I should also note that this book is keyed to the new "50th
          > Anniversary" ed. of _LotR_, newly available in paperback featuring a
          > greatly expanded new index, also compiled by Hammond and Scull,

          Houghton Mifflin have issued this also in one-volume hardcover, and
          HarperCollins have it in three volumes, hardcover and paperback. The
          2005 printing has some further corrections as well as the new index.

          Christina and I were in a Barnes & Noble the other day, looking at the
          Tolkien shelves, when one of the sales clerks came over, talking to
          someone on the phone who wanted a particular edition of _The Lord of
          the Rings_. The caller couldn't adequately describe what he wanted, and
          the poor clerk didn't know her Tolkien well enough to figure it out. In
          the end, despite our attempt to help, both caller and clerk gave it up.
          Part of the problem was that the shop had _ten different editions_ of
          LR on sale: red "Collector's Edition"; one-volume Alan Lee-illustrated;
          three-volume Alan Lee-illustrated hardcover; old three-volume trade
          paperback; old one-volume trade paperback; new three-volume trade
          paperback; Ballantine paperbacks in a box with _The Hobbit_; the deluxe
          50th anniversary edition from last year; and the new one-volume
          hardcover and paperback editions. Caveat emptor!

          Wayne