Re: Nurn and the Sea of Núrnen / Nûrnen

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 21, 2005
      Edouard wrote:

      > Sorry about the ref. but I was referring to _Nûrnen_ as printed in
      > the chapter "The Black Gate is Closed", first edition, p. 244 (my
      > copy 11th printing).

      Ah, yes, there it had a circumflex. This carried over from the first
      edition into the first printing of the second edition (1966), but was
      changed to an acute accent in the second edition, second printing
      (1967). This was one of many changes made at Tolkien's direction in
      the 1967 printing: see notes to _J.R.R. Tolkien: A Descriptive
      Bibliography_ A5e.

      Wayne