Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: Nurn and the Sea of Núrnen / Nûrnen

  • ejk@free.fr
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 21, 2005
      "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote :

      > Edouard wrote:
      >
      > > In the first edition of LOTR, the name is spelt _Nûrnen_ in Book 6,
      > > Ch. V. However, on the general map it is "Sea of Nurnen". "Sea of
      > > Núrnen" appears on the general map in the second edition. Who put
      > > in the accent? J.R.R. Tolkien? C. Tolkien?
      >
      > In the copies of the first edition on our shelves, the name is
      > printed in the text _Núrnen_, with an acute accent, not with a
      > circumflex.

      Sorry about the ref. but I was referring to _Nûrnen_ as printed in the
      chapter "The Black Gate is Closed", first edition, p. 244 (my copy 11th
      printing).

      > It has no accent on the map, but Christopher followed the
      > usage on his father's working maps, which (according to Christopher's
      > redrawings and comments in _The History of Middle-earth_) themselves
      > had _Nurnen_, without accent.

      The original map by J.R.R. Tolkien has _Nûrnen_ (either with a circumflex
      or a macron, it is not clear). And in VIII:127, n. 5 there is _Nûrnen_.

      Thanks for your answer.

      So the mystery still remains... :-)

      elfiquement vôtre,

      Edouard Kloczko
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 21, 2005
        Edouard wrote:

        > Sorry about the ref. but I was referring to _Nûrnen_ as printed in
        > the chapter "The Black Gate is Closed", first edition, p. 244 (my
        > copy 11th printing).

        Ah, yes, there it had a circumflex. This carried over from the first
        edition into the first printing of the second edition (1966), but was
        changed to an acute accent in the second edition, second printing
        (1967). This was one of many changes made at Tolkien's direction in
        the 1967 printing: see notes to _J.R.R. Tolkien: A Descriptive
        Bibliography_ A5e.

        Wayne