Re: [Lambengolmor] Haywards

  • Lukáš Novák
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
      Recall also "Haysend" - where too "hay"="hedge".

      Lukas

      Beregond. Anders Stenström scripsit:

      > See Tolkien's _Guide to the Names_, Persons, _Hayward_:
      > "The word is derived from _hay_ 'fence' (_not_ 'grass') +
      > _ward_ 'guard'." (TC:168)

      > - Beregond

      > List guidelines: http://www.elvish.org/LambengolmorList/
      > Bibliography and abbreviations:
      > http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/conventions.phtml
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
        In regard to Fredrik and Pat's comments, our gloss:

        > "haywards -- The term _hayward_ originally referred to
        > one who protected the fences around lands enclosed for
        > growing hay (Old English _hegeweard_), later more
        > generally applied to one who prevents cattle from
        > breaking through into enclosed fields with growing
        > crops." (p. 35)

        should have pointed to Tolkien's own gloss in the "Nomenclature", as
        indeed we do in our gloss for "Hob Hayward" (LR p. 998, our p. 655).
        Our note on p. 35 was written early in the project, and forgotten 620
        pages later. Even early on, however, we knew that Hob Hayward would
        be coming along, with a name derived from an occupation, and so for
        our first note consulted the Oxford _Dictionary of English Surnames_
        by Reaney and Wilson, which says: "The original duties of the hayward
        seem to have been to protect the fences round the Lammas lands when
        enclosed for hay (Coulton), hence his name, OE _hegeweard_ 'guardian
        of the fence or hedge'." "Coulton" is nowhere identified by Reaney
        and Wilson (probably the writer on medieval history G.G. Coulton),
        and it may be that an element of folk etymology is present.

        Wayne and Christina
      • F. Strÿfffff6m
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
          Beregond wrote:

          > See Tolkien's _Guide to the Names_, Persons,
          > _Hayward_: "The word is derived from _hay_
          > 'fence' (_not_ 'grass') + _ward_ 'guard'."
          > (TC:168)

          The text of the "Guide" is also printed in the
          _Reader's Companion_ itself.

          [The page reference in Beregond's post was added
          by your humble moderator, who decided to cite the
          _Tolkien Compass_ edition as currently the most
          familiar. The version in _Reader's Companion_ differs
          from this in that "it has been newly transcribed from
          the professional typescript as corrected by Tolkien, with
          reference also to an earlier version in manuscript and
          typescript" (RC:751). I have no doubt that in the future
          the version in the RC will become the standard text of
          reference for Tolkienian linguistics. -- PHW]

          I might point out a possible misprint in this context.
          On p. 655, entry for Hob Hayward, there is a reference
          to a "note for p. 107". However, Hob Hayward is not
          mentioned in the notes for page 107 (although the Hay
          Gate is, as correctly noted in the next entry on page
          655 in the _Reader's Companion_). Possibly the
          reference should read "(See also note for p. 10.)",
          referring to the note for "haywards"?

          Speaking of possible errors in the _Reader's
          Companion_, Magnus Åberg, whose "Analysis of Khuzdul"
          was read at the Omentielva Minya, made an interesting
          observation regarding the following text on page 269:

          "_Azan_ [in _Azanulbizar_] was probably a plural of
          _uzu_ 'dimness, shadow' (cf. _Khazad_ - _Khuzd_)".

          Magnus points out that *_'uzn_ as the singular
          of _'azan_ would fit the pattern of _khuzd_ - _khazad_
          better than _uzu_ does. Could it be that the word was
          misread in the manuscript of the _Nomenclature_?

          Kind regards,
          /Fredrik Ström
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2005
            Fredrik wrote:

            > I might point out a possible misprint in this context.
            > On p. 655, entry for Hob Hayward, there is a reference
            > to a "note for p. 107". However, Hob Hayward is not
            > mentioned in the notes for page 107 (although the Hay
            > Gate is, as correctly noted in the next entry on page
            > 655 in the _Reader's Companion_). Possibly the
            > reference should read "(See also note for p. 10.)",
            > referring to the note for "haywards"?

            No, I don't think so. Too many details have passed by now to be sure,
            but I think that we meant to point to the mention of the Hay Gate. If
            we had meant the note for p. 10 we would have picked up on the
            duplication of comments on _hayward_ and dealt with it.

            > Magnus points out that *_'uzn_ as the singular
            > of _'azan_ would fit the pattern of _khuzd_ - _khazad_
            > better than _uzu_ does. Could it be that the word was
            > misread in the manuscript of the _Nomenclature_?

            Yes, it was. It should be _uzn_.

            Wayne
          • F. Str�m
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005
              On p. 580 in _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
              Companion_, Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull writes:
              "_athelas_ in the noble tongue [...] In the following
              paragraph Aragorn gives the corresponding name of the
              plant in Quenya, _asea aranion_ 'leaf of kings'."

              The Sindarin name is discussed on p. 183:
              "Athelas [...] The first element is problematic;
              according to Arden R. Smith, an unpublished etymology
              connects it with Quenya _asea_, as in _asea aranion_
              'kingsfoil' (but if so, _athelas_ = 'leaf-leaf')."

              The translation 'leaf of kings' does not seem to be
              attested. The only translation of _asea_ that I know
              of is the one quoted by William C. Hicklin on the
              art.fan.tolkien newsgroup:
              <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.books.tolkien/browse_thread/thread/34fc7f494c7ff868/3fad9c3c879f5a2c?lnk=st&q=athelas+hicklin&rnum=1&hl=en#3fad9c3c879f5a2c>

              "Christopher Tolkien and I have had an ongoing discussion about the origins of
              this word. It plainly contains -las 'leaf'. It is possible (but entirely
              speculative) that what Tolkien had in mind at that time (1938-39) was the Old
              English word aethele 'noble, royal.' This would translate 'kingsfoil,' near
              enough. At any rate, a very late note (1970 or later) says that Asea (cf.
              Aragorn, 'asea aranion') was the name in Quenya, regularly adapted and
              compounded with -las in Sindarin. The plant was known to the medical
              loremasters of the Noldor. The root is *ATHAYA, 'helpful, kindly,
              beneficial.' "

              From this it would seem that _asea_ is in fact an
              adjective (perhaps substantivized) meaning *'beneficial'
              and that the 'leaf'(or 'foil') part is understood in the
              Quenya name:_asea [?lasse] aranion_, 'the beneficial
              (leaf) of kings'. But perhaps there are other explanations
              as well.

              /Fredrik
            • Arden R. Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005
                On Nov 13, 2005, at 3:20 PM, F. Ström wrote:

                > The translation 'leaf of kings' does not seem to be
                > attested.

                Strictly speaking, that's true. It's really just an extrapolation,
                based on the gloss of _athelas_ as 'kingsfoil' and the transparent
                meaning of _aranion_ 'of kings'.

                > "Christopher Tolkien and I have had an ongoing discussion about the
                > origins of this word. It plainly contains -las 'leaf'. It is possible
                > (but entirely speculative) that what Tolkien had in mind at that time
                > (1938-39) was the Old English word aethele 'noble, royal.' This
                > would translate 'kingsfoil,' near enough. At any rate, a very late
                > note (1970 or later) says that Asea (cf. Aragorn, 'asea aranion') was
                > the name in Quenya, regularly adapted and compounded with -las
                > in Sindarin. The plant was known to the medical loremasters of the
                > Noldor. The root is *ATHAYA, 'helpful, kindly, beneficial.' "

                Interesting. I was unaware of this. The unpublished etymology that I
                cited derives _athelas_ and _asea_ from a similar form (though spelling
                TH with thorn), but unfortunately leaves it unglossed. This etymology,
                incidentally, is considerably earlier than that mentioned by Bill
                Hicklin, dating from sometime between the publication of the first
                edition (1954-55) and the publication of the second edition (1965).

                Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

                Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
                --Elvish proverb

              • F. Ström
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 14, 2005
                  --- "F. Ström" <frestro@...> skrev:
                  > The translation 'leaf of kings' does not seem to be
                  > attested. The only translation of _asea_ that I know
                  > of is the one quoted by William C. Hicklin on the
                  > art.fan.tolkien newsgroup:

                  <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.books.tolkien/browse_thread/thread/34fc7f494c7ff868/3fad9c3c879f5a2c?lnk=st&q=athelas+hicklin&rnum=1&hl=en#3fad9c3c879f5a2c>

                  The URL in my post was editorially changed, but the
                  reference to the "art.fan.tolkien" newsgroup was not
                  updated to "rec.arts.books.tolkien" along with it.

                  [Quite right; sorry! The link you sent originally didn't work for me, so I googled it myself, and didn't notice the discrepancy. CFH]

                  Forconvenience I quote the first post by William C.
                  Hicklin as well:

                  <http://groups.google.se/group/alt.fan.tolkien/browse_thread/thread/7b7287d31cfa1e77/bdb4b12467dc0ad1?lnk=st>

                  "The herb was known to the Noldor, who termed it
                  "athea" from *ATHAYA 'helpful, kindly, beneficial.' A
                  later sound shift rendered it "asea" (cf. Aragorn's
                  "asea aranion" in "The Houses of Healing.") In
                  Middle-earth the word was converted into regularized
                  Sindarin form as athe- plus -las 'leaf.'"

                  /Fredrik
                • F. Strÿfffff6m
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                    On his 'Addenda and Corrigenda' page to RC (http://bcn.net/~whammond/addenda/readers.html), Wayne Hammond writes:

                    'On the Lambengolmor forum, message 850 [...], Fredrik Ström correctly comments that our gloss asëa aranion 'leaf of kings' is not attested in Tolkien's writings. In message 851, however, Arden R. Smith defends this translation as an extrapolation from the gloss of athelas 'kingsfoil' in an unpublished etymology by Tolkien together with 'the transparent meaning of aranion "of kings"'.'

                    What Arden wrote was:
                    >The unpublished etymology that I cited derives _athelas_ and _asea_ from a
                    >similar form [..] but unfortunately leaves it unglossed

                    I think no-one queries the translation *'of kings'. However, in the light of Tolkien's gloss on _athea_ (regularly > _asea_ after the change of Q. _th_ > _s_ described in 'The Shibboleth of Feanor' [XII:331]), I'm not sure that the translation *'leaf' should be defended (and I don't think Arden said so, either). I think that the note on RC:183 is correct except for the parenthesis, '(but if so, _athelas_ = ''leaf-leaf'')', since the attested etymological connection between _athe-_ and _asea_ does not imply that _athe-_ means 'leaf'. In the note on RC:580 ll. 2-3 from bottom, perhaps one should substitute Tolkien's actual gloss ('beneficial') for 'leaf' (or simply omit the words 'leaf of kings')?

                    /Fredrik

                  • William Cloud Hicklin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 26, 2006
                      You know, I've felt guilty for the better part of a decade for
                      my unthinking and unauthorized posting of that snippet on
                      Usenet- especially since soon therafter the copyright-law war
                      erupted with the Salo/Star/Fauskanger axis. Fortunately it seems
                      that it hasn't spread that far, since even Arden appears to have
                      been unaware of it (although it has turned up in a couple of
                      online "encyclopedias").

                      In any event, it's out, and surely there would be no harm if Wayne
                      Hammond and Christina Scull were to use it, since they carry the
                      Imprimatur.

                      I suspect that _asea aranion/athelas_ is one of those Q-S pairs
                      that aren't literal translations. Now, I'm no linguist; but we
                      can at least be certain that _asea_ and _athe-_ are equivalent
                      elements, and, as Frederik points out, that the Quenya assumed
                      or omitted the leaf-element. Or, viewed the other way around,
                      that the leaf-element was added by the Exiles when they formed
                      their Sindarin equivalent (acc. to the late note, the plant was
                      known to the medical loremasters of the Noldor- with no
                      indication whether the Sindar were aware of its properties, or
                      even if it was native to Middle-earth). The snippet's wording
                      has _asea_ regularly > _athe-_, "compounded with _-las_," which
                      to me suggests that the _-las_ element only entered with the
                      Sindarin conversion. Why would this be? Another note cited by
                      Wayne and Christina indicates that only the leaves were used,
                      which may be relevant. Or perhaps the linguistic loremasters
                      found "athe" alone to be ugly?

                      [Tolkien wrote in his note on "Stress" in Section I of Appendix E
                      that words in which the stress falls on the third syllable from the
                      end -- e.g. _Denethor, Fëanor_ -- "are favoured in the Eldarin
                      languages, especially Quenya." It seems natural then that the
                      medical loremasters of the Noldor, whose native tongue was
                      Quenya, would expand _athe-_ to the more euphonious (not to
                      mention distinctive) _athelas_. PHW]

                      One might speculate whether "aranion" was a pre- or post-
                      Downfall Numenorean addition ("balm" > "kingsbalm"), since the
                      specific association of healing with the King appears to have
                      been theirs, not the Elves'. This leads to yet another
                      question- whether Ad/CS _kingsfoil_ followed or in fact underlay
                      the hypothesised Num. addition of _aranion_ .

                      -- William Cloud Hicklin