How to use Tolkien’s invented languages

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2005
      "The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion" by  Wayne G. Hammond
      and Christina Scull should be published on : 10/25/2005. It will be a
      welcome volume !

      According to the Houghton Mifflin site

      <http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?titleNumber==6=
      89739>

      it will also have : "Translations and primers on how to use Tolkien's
      invented languages."

      Could W. G. Hammond or C. Scull tell us please a little more about that
      part? Is it something they wrote or a text (or texts) written by JRR Tolkien,
      or a mix?

      Thank you.

      elfiquement vôtre,

      E. Kloczko
    • whammondwayne
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2005
        --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

        > "The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion" by Wayne G.
        > Hammond and Christina Scull should be published on :
        > 10/25/2005. It will be a welcome volume !
        >
        > According to the Houghton Mifflin site
        >
        > <http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?
        > titleNumber=h9739>
        >
        > it will also have : "Translations and primers on how to use
        > Tolkien's invented languages."
        >
        > Could W. G. Hammond or C. Scull tell us please a little more about
        > that part? Is it something they wrote or a text (or texts) written by
        > JRR Tolkien, or a mix?

        Edouard, I'm sorry not to have seen this message and replied to it
        sooner. Christina and I also had not seen the description on Houghton
        Mifflin's site, and on Amazon US, which was written without
        consulting us. This seems to extrapolate from our earliest proposal
        for the book, and in the process ventures into a fantasy realm of its
        own. We never promised "primers on how to use Tolkien's invented
        languages"! though naturally, points of language enter into some of
        our notes. Nor does Tolkien's "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings"
        appear "for the first time". HarperCollins UK's original blurb (still
        on Amazon UK) was inaccurate in a few respects too, after which we
        wrote the following, which now appears on HarperCollins' sites in the
        UK and Canada:

        "In The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion internationally
        acclaimed scholars Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull examine
        Tolkien's masterpiece chapter by chapter, offering expert insights
        into its evolution, structure, and meaning. They discuss in close
        detail important literary and historical influences on the
        development of The Lord of the Rings, connections between that work
        and other writings by Tolkien, errors and inconsistencies,
        significant changes to the text during its fifty years of
        publication, archaic and unusual words used by Tolkien, and words and
        passages in his invented languages of Middle-earth. Thousands of
        notes, keyed to standard editions of The Lord of the Rings but
        universally accessible, reveal the richness and complexity of one of
        the most popular works of fiction in our time. In addition to their
        own expertise and that of other scholars and critics, Hammond and
        Scull frequently draw upon comments by Tolkien himself, made in
        letters to family, friends, and enthusiasts, in draft texts of The
        Lord of the Rings, and in works written in later years which amplify
        or illuminate characters and events in the story. Extensive reference
        is made also to writings by Tolkien not previously or widely
        published, including elaborate time-schemes, an unfinished manuscript
        index to The Lord of the Rings, and most notably, the important
        Nomenclature or guide to names in The Lord of the Rings prepared for
        the use of translators, long out of print and now newly transcribed
        and printed in its entirety. With these resources at hand, even the
        most seasoned reader of The Lord of the Rings will come to a greater
        enjoyment and appreciation of Tolkien's magnificent achievement."

        I also note that in the American description our book is said to have
        416 pages. Originally it was supposed to come in around 400-450
        pages, but in the process of writing it demanded more and more, so
        that (even with some cutting) our typescript ran to between 900 and
        1,000 pages. HarperCollins is listing this at 976 pages, presumably
        including the index. This posed some production problems, which we
        understand have been solved by the use of a thinner paper, in order
        to have a volume that isn't difficult to handle, and that (at least
        in the UK) can be included in a boxed set with The Lord of the Rings
        itself. HarperCollins are publishing the Reader's Companion
        simultaneously in both hardcover and paperback, separately and in the
        sets.

        I should add that despite the similarity of titles (HarperCollins'
        choice), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion is not the same
        as The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide which Christina and I are
        still working to complete. The first is a book of annotations to The
        Lord of the Rings, the second a two-volume reference book on Tolkien.
        The Reader's Companion, the 50th anniversary edition of The Lord of
        the Rings, and our new index for LR (to be published beginning later
        this year) have been more time-sensitive, so as to appear during the
        anniversary years.

        Wayne Hammond