Re: Various umlauts in Sindarin plurals

  • tchitrec
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2002
      The explanations of my model for I-affection in Sindarin were not
      very clear, because I did not mention which syllables are supposed to
      be affected, which is very important :-(
      My apologies.

      With more details, it would be :
      - first, raising of e to i and o to u *in the penult* (later final
      syllable) before final i
      - later, fronting of the back vowels a, o, u to e, ö, y respectively
      before a syllable containing an i, and this *everywhere in the word*
      - still later, final i becomes non syllabic (perhaps like the final i
      of Rumanian _lupi_ "wolves", pl. of _lup_ "wolf") and in some cases
      anticipated - more precisely when the preceding syllable contains e,
      ô (long open a-like o, printed o with macron and hook in XI), û,
      giving respectively ei (later ai), oi (later oe), ui.

      Some examples might be useful (j stands for non syllabic i):
      Common Eldarin _*ñgolodoi_ > _*ñgolodî_ > _*ñgoluði_ > _*ñgölyðj_ >
      S. _Gölydh_ (written "Goelydh"), later _Gelydh_ (XI:364 for the
      archaic form "Goelydh" ; for the later form, see for example the
      place name _Annon-in-Gelydh_, Silmarillion Index entry _Golodhrim_,
      or UT:18)
      CE _*atarî_ > _*atari_ > _*ederi_ > _*ederj_ > _*edeir_ > S._edair_
      (attested in the compound _Edenedair_ "Fathers of Men", X:373)
      CE(?) _*orotî_ > _*oroti_ > _*orudi_ > _*örydj > S. _eryd_ (attested
      numerous times in XI, e.g. in _Eryd Engrin_ "Iron Mountains", XI:6)
      CE _*do3rai_ > _*dôrai_ > _*dûrî_ > _*dûri > _*dûrj_ > S. _duir_ (in
      _Emyn Duir_, UT:434)

      (The chronology of consonant changes is hypothetical - it can be
      reconstructed differently.)
      I hope this is clearer.

      Nai Anar caluva tielmanna !
      Tchitrec