Re: Quenya at the SILF in Helsinki September 2005

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2005
      --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

      > I'm happy to announce that I have been invited to the SILF, which this
      > year is hosted by the University of Helsinki
      > http://www.helsinki.fi/romaanisetkielet/congres/index_eng.htm
      > to talk about Quenya.

      <snip>

      > [Congratulations, Edouard! Perhaps you can post a report here
      > afterwards to give us your impressions of how Quenya and
      > Tolkienian Linguistics were received at the conference. PHW]

      I will with pleasure.

      And if I may ask for some help.

      I have been looking for months for a copy of "Scholarship & Fantasy",
      Proceedings of the Tolkien Phenomenon, May 1992, Turku, Finland,
      edited by K. J. Battarbee.

      Anyone having the book, please contact me! Thanks.

      elfiquement vôtre,

      Edouard Kloczko
    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2005

        I have been invited to the SILF, which this year is hosted by the
        University of Helsinki
        http://www.helsinki.fi/romaanisetkielet/congres/index_eng.htm to
        talk about Quenya and Finnish.

        The SILF ended yesterday. About 150 linguists participated, mostly
        French, but also Greek, Lebanese, Turkish, Spanish, and Finnish (it
        was not open to the public, a few students were in).

        My talk lasted (as usual in such conferences) 20 mins. with 10 mins.
        of discussion. About 10 linguists participated, but remember that
        there were 3 conferences at the same time in other rooms. Still, I
        cannot say that it was a "big" success. But I am the only professional
        linguist in that "very special" field...

        Later on, we had a few talks and others who not knowing anything
        about the subject became quite interested in it and asked to know
        more.

        I hope to make three conferences next year, including (at least one)
        in the US.

        As far as I know, it is the first time ever that a talk about Tolkien's
        ConLang was presented at International Conf. of Linguistics.

        elfiquement vôtre,

        Edouard Kloczko