Quenya at the SILF in Helsinki September 2005

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2005
      I'm happy to announce that I have been invited to the SILF, which this year is
      hosted by the University of Helsinki
      http://www.helsinki.fi/romaanisetkielet/congres/index_eng.htm
      to talk about Quenya.

      The SILF is a major event in International Linguistics and I hope to spark
      there some interest in Tolkien's ConLang. It is about time. :-)

      It is not open to the "public"... But the Lambendili or even the Lambengolmor
      (from Sweden, Finland, or Russia...) can contact me in private. ;-)
      I will stay the entire week in Helsinki to gain a better view of the "Quenya
      Country". :-)

      elfiquement vôtre,

      Edouard Kloczko

      [Congratulations, Edouard! Perhaps you can post a report here
      afterwards to give us your impressions of how Quenya and
      Tolkienian Linguistics were received at the conference. PHW]
    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2005
        --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

        > I'm happy to announce that I have been invited to the SILF, which this
        > year is hosted by the University of Helsinki
        > http://www.helsinki.fi/romaanisetkielet/congres/index_eng.htm
        > to talk about Quenya.

        <snip>

        > [Congratulations, Edouard! Perhaps you can post a report here
        > afterwards to give us your impressions of how Quenya and
        > Tolkienian Linguistics were received at the conference. PHW]

        I will with pleasure.

        And if I may ask for some help.

        I have been looking for months for a copy of "Scholarship & Fantasy",
        Proceedings of the Tolkien Phenomenon, May 1992, Turku, Finland,
        edited by K. J. Battarbee.

        Anyone having the book, please contact me! Thanks.

        elfiquement vôtre,

        Edouard Kloczko
      • laurifindil
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2005

          I have been invited to the SILF, which this year is hosted by the
          University of Helsinki
          http://www.helsinki.fi/romaanisetkielet/congres/index_eng.htm to
          talk about Quenya and Finnish.

          The SILF ended yesterday. About 150 linguists participated, mostly
          French, but also Greek, Lebanese, Turkish, Spanish, and Finnish (it
          was not open to the public, a few students were in).

          My talk lasted (as usual in such conferences) 20 mins. with 10 mins.
          of discussion. About 10 linguists participated, but remember that
          there were 3 conferences at the same time in other rooms. Still, I
          cannot say that it was a "big" success. But I am the only professional
          linguist in that "very special" field...

          Later on, we had a few talks and others who not knowing anything
          about the subject became quite interested in it and asked to know
          more.

          I hope to make three conferences next year, including (at least one)
          in the US.

          As far as I know, it is the first time ever that a talk about Tolkien's
          ConLang was presented at International Conf. of Linguistics.

          elfiquement vôtre,

          Edouard Kloczko