Syllabification in EQG

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2005
      On p. 46 of the EQG Tolkien present the long and short syllable of a
      sentence but he gives only some of the syllabic divisions, not all.

      I wonder who would agree with me and divide "tárakasse Taniqetildo"
      as :

      tá|rak|ass|e | Tan|iq|et|ild|o

      -- "iq" is long because q is 'long' (kw).

      Tolkien calls it a 'tag'. I guees he does not mean that it is a 'tag
      question'... Does he mean a 'tag statement' then ? Or a 'cliché' then?
      Something the Elves used to say a lot.

      elfiquement vôtre,

      Edouard Kloczko

      [Tolkien calls this Qenya phrase a "frequent tag", and first described
      it as a "frequent tag at end of Q. poem" (PE14:46, n. 34). It seems
      clear that by "frequent tag" Tolkien meant 'stock phrase commonly
      used in poetry to fill the meter of a line', much as we refer to
      "Homeric tags". PHW]