Re: [Lambengolmor] Some remarks on _loikolíkuma_

  • Rich Alderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
      > From: David Kiltz <derdron@...>
      > Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:34:06 +0100

      > ... Had OE or ONo. _l�c/k_ as a noun survived into Modern English times
      > it should have acquired the pronunciation /laik/.

      I would just like to point out that the word does appear in Modern English in
      the old compound _lychgate_ (also _lichgate_), a covered section of the gate
      into a churchyard in which a bier could be rested temporarily, that is to say,
      a "corpse gate".

      Rich Alderson
    • lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
        [This is drifting off-topic. Keep any further discussion of this form related to
        Tolkien's own usage and inventions, please. Discussion of the development of
        forms in modern languages should otherwise be conducted off-list. CFH]

        1) =====================================
        On 13.01.2005, at 20:14, Rich Alderson wrote:

        > I would just like to point out that the word does appear in Modern English in
        > the old compound _lychgate_ (also _lichgate_).

        Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of this form but I understand, this being a compound,
        the first element is pronounced /litsh/ rhyming with _switch_. Only if the noun
        had survived should we see the development to /laik/ as in ModE _like_ and _to like_.
        John Cowan pointed out some more survivors of the word (also in compounds), cf.
        <http://tolklang.quettar.org/messages/Vol45/45.44>. As John also indicates,
        there is also _lyke-wake (lykewake < ONo. _líkavaka_) but I don't know how current
        the word _lyke_ is or if it is used independently at all.

        Curiously, Rohirric _laik_ seems to represent an Old Norse precursor.

        2) =====================================
        Among the undead creatures described in the _Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
        Monster Manual_ (c.1980) was one they called a "lich"; I hadn't encountered the word
        before seeing it there, but it may still have had some currency before they revived it,
        so to speak.

        --
        Odysseus

        OE/ONo. _líc/k_ also survived into modern Danish (_lig_ with silent g) and modern
        Swedish (_lik_) both meaning corpse / dead body.

        Peter Edelberg