New _Tengwestië_ article: "Musings on _Li mlight_" by Helios De Rosario Martínez and Ja vier Lorenzo Merino

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2005
      Patrick Wynne and I are pleased to announce the publication of a new
      article in _Tengwestië_, the online journal of the Elvish Linguistic
      Fellowship (<http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/>):

      "Musings on _Limlight_"

      by Helios De Rosario Martínez and
      Javier Lorenzo Merino

      _Limlight_ is the name of a river that marks the northern border of
      Rohan, a tributary of the Anduin. We are told by Tolkien that this
      name is a Common-Speech or Rohan adaptation of some Elvish - probably
      Sindarin - name, but additional information about that original name
      is scanty and very inconstant. Nevertheless, some common traces can be
      discerned in the various notes that Tolkien wrote about this matter: a
      possible semantical connection of the river-name with the brightness
      and swiftness of running water, and an attempt of finding an Elvish
      name for which an adaptation to the form _Limlight_ was plausible. A
      possible relation of this river-name and the name of the river
      Skirfare in Yorkshire is also studied.

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2005
        Carl F.Hostetter announced:

        > "Musings on _Limlight_"
        >
        > by Helios De Rosario Martínez and
        > Javier Lorenzo Merino

        It was a pleasure to read this article.

        At one point it states:

        "_+laith_, does not occur in any other name [than
        _Limlaith_], and its meaning is unknown"

        There is appended a footnote which concludes
        that _-laith_ is not an element in _Lalaith_.

        Let me, as a small contribution to the
        interesting subject, note that an element _-laith_
        seemingly occurs in _Amlaith_, the name of the
        first king of Arthedain (see LR App. A).

        Meneg suilaid,

        Beregond