OT: Please give

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2004
      Please forgive this off-topic post, but I wanted to let every US member
      know that Amazon.com has a page set up by which you can very easily
      make a donation to the American Red Cross in support of disaster relief
      in the wake of the horrific earthquake and resulting tsunami near
      Sumatra. Already the death toll has risen to more than 60,000, and will
      certainly rise as tens of thousands are still missing. And the epidemic
      of diseases that inevitable follow disasters of this nature have
      already begun. Please give what you can to help care for the victims of
      this terrible tragedy.

      http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-pay-page/PX3BEL97U9A4I/103
      -8181649-3440617

      (Note: if you are not a US member, but still have an account with
      Amazon.com in the US, you should still be able to give through this
      site. Otherwise, you may be able to give through an Amazon store in
      your own country, or nearby.)

      Carl
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30 5:29 PM
        Please forgive this off-topic post, but I want to ask list members to
        please consider making a donation to the American Red Cross to aid
        victims of Hurricane Katrina. The focus on the fact that the eye did
        not hit New Orleans has created an unreal initial perception that the
        area was spared. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The
        devastation that has befallen the southern Mississippi region is now
        starting to become apparent, New Orleans continues to fill with water
        -- water that will have nowhere to go for weeks if not months -- and
        broken gas lines are causing fires in urban areas. Vast numbers of
        people are in dire immediate need of food, water, clothing, and
        medical and other supplies, and will be subject to heat, deprivation,
        and disease for a considerable time to come.

        The American Red Cross has set up an online donation page at:

        <https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp>

        and information on donating by other means is at:

        <http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html>

        Thank you,

        Carl